We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Week in May - Anchorage Area

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
150 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
First Week in May - Anchorage Area

Hi, myself and a coworker will be in Alaska the first week of May on business. The plane tickets are purchased. I've spent many hours researching and reading and below is what I have in mind for our stay. Unfortunately, many of the things that we might consider doing won't reopen until later in May. We are primarily interested in seeing wildlife and scenery.

I am looking for 1) lodging suggestion for Talkeetna, 2) good, affordable (not touristy) restaurants/pubs in all of these towns, and 3) suggestions for anything else we shouldn't miss along this route.

April 29 (Mon) Fly Florida to ANC, rental car, overnight in Anchorage.

April 30 (Tues) Travel/sightsee Glenn Hwy to Sutton.

Anchorage Museum

Coastal Trail/Point Woronzof/Potter Marsh

Thunderbird Falls

Old Glenn Hwy (mi 30-42)

May 1 & 2 (Wed, Thurs) in Sutton on business. (fixed)

May 3 (Fri) Travel to Talkeetna. Overnight in Talkeetna or Anchorage.

Flightseeing Tour of Denali

May 4 & 5 (Sat, Sun) Travel/sightsee Seward Hwy to Seward. Two nights in Seward.

Wildlife Conservation Center

Whale Watching Tour

Sealife Center

May 6 (Mon) Travel/sightsee Seward to Anchorage. Return car, midnight flight ANC to Florida.

I've been impressed with this forum, and I thank you all for your help!

Alaska Tour and Travel Day Tours
Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Rail Tours
Planet Earth Adventures
Photography Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ascending Path
Eco Tours, Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First Week in May - Anchorage Area

We went back country skiing in Talkeetna & enjoyed staying at the Talkeetna roadhouse, quintessential alaskan experience. If that is too rustic for you with shared bathrooms down the hall, there are a number of B&Bs in town. We love breakfast at the roadhouse.

You could be post-holing through snow up at Glen Alps, as that time of year we are still skiing or snowshoeing up there. It is certainly worth the drive up for the views & a short hike to the overlook, especially when Susitna & Mt McKinley are out.

From Sutton, try to a least drive to Glacier View to see Matanuska glacier as coalminer recommended- beautiful drive!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
150 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Week in May - Anchorage Area

I had not realized the Iditarod Headquarters were on the way to Talkeetna, so that is an excellent suggestion, thanks.

Thank you, everyone, for allof the great ideas. I am super excited for the trip - I have always wanted to visit Alaska!

13. Re: First Week in May - Anchorage Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 25, 2014