We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
269 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

Finally booked my air and my cruise and now i have to work on the land pre and post. We arrive in anchorage at 1;30am .. I thought we'd do two nights in anchorage so we can acclimate - but the rates are so expensive ($250 and up per night), now I'm wondering if we should get out sooner?

I figure since we are arriving so late/early, we should wait until the next day to rent a car downtown -I've read the cost is lower w/o the airport pick up ... So we'll have to calculate the cost of another method of transport to get to the hotel, as well.

Can you recommend a nice hotel or inn or b&b that's not quite as pricey? We are arriving mid-week, end of July.

We have six nights until we get on the cruise and beyond a min of two nights at or near Denali - I haven't worked it out yet.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Rachel

Hewitt, New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

I actually found the best rate thru Kayak and went thru that website. Just be sure to specify the downtown location, not the airport. As some have said here, it can be cheaper and was, in fact, for me.

Ohio
Level Contributor
268 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

I am also finding car rentals cheaper downtown and there is no extra charge for dropping your car off at the airport.

Discounts I have found:

If you are a member of Cosco, get their discount code; AAA discount works for Hertz and they also accept Entertainment Book coupons; www.breezenet.com seems to have some good rates. Travelocity is a good place to check.

I am still researching, I have been looking for a car since November. I will post any discounts I can find--I'll start a separate post. I am finding rates(as of 2 weeks ago) that are about $330-350/week but with taxes and fees and one extra day at $65/day I am getting a total for 2 weeks+1 day at $845-$856. Book a car so that you are sure you have one and then continue looking. You can cancel a car if we find a cheaper rate. I am wondering if you need 7 nights to get the weekly rate? There are discounts coupons in the Entertainment Book for weekend stays but I am finding that not all the rental agencies in Anchorage accept the coupon.

I also use Kayak to check rates but it is just a search engine that directs you to the car rental agencies or providers.

Independence...
Level Contributor
100 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

Hi Rachelfran,

Like you, hubby and I are arriving in the early morning and know we will be exhausted with the time change and travel.

Since our hotel for the "night" will be only for a few hours sleep, I booked

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Anchorage (near the airport) through hotwire for $127 + tax. Still no bargain, but much less than downtown hotels and should be fine for our needs. I booked just a couple weeks ago, so the rates may not have gone up much.

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
269 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

I generally find the best prices for cars on hotwire and have a watch on our dates. Does it pay to get an SUV to accommodate terrain? Usually we get a midsize to allow for better gas mileage but wonder if an SUV will offer a better ride in Alaska?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,325 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

You won't need an SUV for terrain purposes. Whatever car you are most comfortable in will work.

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
269 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

thanks sdpryde ... that'll save some $$.

Edited: 11:19 am, January 31, 2013
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

I always get the smallest car I need to fit luggage and people. Often that is the economy/subcompact.

Some rental companies don't charge for airport drop off, a couple do, and some don't allow airport drop off at all. You have to just check all options.

Generally the weekly rate is valid for rentals of 5-7 days.

Homer, Alaska...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

Several ideas to lower you costs: Rent a vehicle at RelayRides.com. Vehicles are cheap and insurance is included. Cheap rooms and even homes at Airbnb.com. If you don't mind staying with a friendly stranger you can look for a couch to sleep on at Couchsurfing.org.

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
269 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

We ended up at the Comfort Inn Ships Creek - they provided a free shuttle from the airport - the room was huge and perfect .. I had planned to pick up a car at noon the next day - thinking we'd sleep in but we couldn't sleep too late. My husband was up extra early and explored the area before I even woke up and then was antsy to pick up the rental car early. They had no cars and wouldn't give us an earlier pick up (enterprise). He went there right at our pick up time and they only had a truck - which we wouldn't take due to gas costs. He waited a few minutes and a smaller car came in and we were good to go.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Anchorage hotel .. no car .. early am arrival

With high summer season that can be a problem - they never guarantee a specific car and they reserve the right to "upgrade" you. I have occasionally had issues picking up early or even late (they give you a 1 hour grace but after that many companies will cancel your reservation).

But generally I have had excellent service from Enterprise in Anchorage. Usually I pick up at the airport or International Blvd, not their downtown location.