We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage before Alaska Cruise

6 posts
Save Topic
Anchorage before Alaska Cruise

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a family cruise for 4 to Alaska in August (Princess Diamond southbound Whittier to Vancouver). I'm looking for recommendations to as to how many days I should stay in Anchorage prior to the cruise and what areas/point of interest to check out. Would it be necessary to rent a car? Should I look for tours to take me around? Our family is open to all sorts of activities as long as they are in moderations...after all, our parents are in their mid fifties. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Anchorage before Alaska Cruise

Would you still recommend the train if our family plan on going there for 3 days prior?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Anchorage before Alaska Cruise

I just re-read the post; "... open to all sorts of activities as long as they are in moderations...after all, our parents are in their mid fifties..."

Moderation because mid-50s. You can't be serious!!!! I hope your parents don't read this.

:P

ps... I'm a car rental person all the way for the conveniences.

Edited: 3:17 pm, January 25, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Anchorage before Alaska Cruise

I think you need to do a little research ....borrow some Alaska travel books from your library, read the 2012 trip reports. There's a lot to see and do in Anchorage but sooo much more within a 1- 2 hr drive. Or you could use all 3 days by taking a trip to Denali. Only you can determine which sights and activities are priorities for your family.

If you want to stay in Anchorage, look over the city's web site for ideas:

http://www.anchorage.net/ak/summer

If you want to experience some adventures nearby consider these drives which can be day trips or overnight visits:

alaska.org/driving/classic-day-drives.htm

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Denali
Denali
2,185 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
14. Re: Anchorage before Alaska Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 27, 2014