We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any hotels offer shuttle service and car rental?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
709 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Any hotels offer shuttle service and car rental?

Do any of the hotels in Anchorage offer shuttle service to and from the airport as well as car rental? If not, are there any that offer free shuttle service and have car rental nearby?

I recently took a trip to Colorado and stayed at a hotel in Denver that offered both. The difference in price between renting a car at the airport and renting a car at the hotel was enough to pay for two days in Denver!

Thanks.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any hotels offer shuttle service and car rental?

Do some car rental places offer shuttle service to your hotel? If so, which ones? Thanks.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,653 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any hotels offer shuttle service and car rental?

Most of the airports in midtown and some of the ones downtown offer airport shuttle service. Some of them will also shuttle you to a car rental place if they can. Your best bet would be to call the front desk and double check.

There's also the People Mover bus system that might work too, depending on where you are staying and where you are going.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any hotels offer shuttle service and car rental?

As AKStafford said, many hotels in midtown and near the airport (and even a couple downtown) offer an airport shuttle. You just have to check online or call them.

If you think the price difference in Denver between on- and off-airport car rental can be huge, Anchorage can be even moreso. On the other hand, I also have seen on-airport rentals in Anchorage meet or beat off-airport rental costs. It really just depends. For my trip next September, I arrive on Labor Day so off-airport offices are closed. I am renting for one day at the airport, then getting a different car off-airport the next day, thus saving me over $100. Some rental companies will pick you up (but not at the airport) and will drop you off (but again not at the airport). Enterprise is one but I am sure there are others.

Often I take a taxi from the airport to the rental office (or v.v.) especially if I am returning the car after hours. Still can be an attractive option even when considering the taxi costs.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any hotels offer shuttle service and car rental?

One thing I've noticed is that at least some of the off-airport car rental locations have very limited business hours.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any hotels offer shuttle service and car rental?

I am Not sure what you consider limited but most are open from about 8am until about 6 p.m. Monday through Friday as well as on Saturday morning. That is pretty standard for most of Airport car rental companies nationwide.

as I said above I am renting 2 cars in order to take advantage of off airport rates. generally I to coincide my arrival into Anchorage with off airport rental company hours. but it doesn't always work that way.into Anchorage

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any hotels offer shuttle service and car rental?

I do not know of any hotels that offer both shuttle service and car rentals. The most cost effective option would be to contact the hotel you have choosen and ask if their airport shuttle can drop you off at the car rental location on their way to the airport. Thrifty Car Rental's off airport location is in route to the airport from downtown.

Be sure not to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and then get a "car rental shuttle" to the off airport location. The car rental agency sees that as a rental that starts at the airport and can charge the airport taxes which are 12% higher than renting at the off airport location.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any hotels offer shuttle service and car rental?

As far as I know, no off-airport car rental companies pick customers up at the airport except High Country, which is kind of a specialized rental company. If you know of any others that do, AKTourTravel, which it appears that you do, please post them. Thanks!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
709 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any hotels offer shuttle service and car rental?

I think there's been a little misunderstanding about the second post. I was asking if any of the car rental places in town offer a shuttle from their place to your hotel. Seems like I read somewhere on TA that there was at least one company who would do that.

9. Re: Any hotels offer shuttle service and car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 22, 2013