We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nov 9 - 11 trip - yea or nay

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Nov 9 - 11 trip - yea or nay

I'm debating whether I should fly up to Anchorage this weekend or not. I'll be going solo so I'm not sure if I should be driving around by myself but I want to go somewhere and have never been.

It is unlikely to see the northern lights this far south and it's suppose to be down season right now that there might not be many attractions to see.

I don't want to spend too much since the flight will be expensive itself. I'll like to go sightseeing and see natural scenery so I'm wondering if I should actually come or not.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nov 9 - 11 trip - yea or nay

I personally would never consider an expensive trip, w/o a real purpose.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nov 9 - 11 trip - yea or nay

Without a real purpose and extremely short. I say no. Two of the three days are travel days!

If you had an extra couple of days I would instead fly to Juneau then take the ferry to Haines for the bald eagle festival.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nov 9 - 11 trip - yea or nay

It's only 4hrs up to Anchorage and since I've a 3 day weekend I just want to get out somewhere. Anywhere else I'm looking at the flights are really marked up. Flight for Anchorage itself similar to regular price if I've booked weeks ago so it isn't too bad.

Don't usually get lots of days off. Flights to ANC

Edited: 11:19 am, November 05, 2012
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nov 9 - 11 trip - yea or nay

So you arrive on Nov 9 even at noon. Depart Nov 11 at 5pm. You have just over 48 hours. What plans do you have during that time? That is the question Von and I have been trying to ask.

To go to Anchorage with no "tourist" activities really operating then means you should have some purpose. If you just want to cuddle up and read a book by a fire, why not find a place closer, even that you can drive to?

You can look at anchorage.net for some activities this weekend and see if anything appeals to you. But as much as I love Alaska (been there four times this year) I would not be flying there for a weekend at the start of winter.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nov 9 - 11 trip - yea or nay

Skiing at Alyeska doesn't begin until Thanksgiving. http://www.alyeskaresort.com/

The Wildlife Conservation Center is open: http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

We haven't had any snow in southcentral yet, so if you drove up to the Matanuska Glacier, you could see it. http://www.matanuska-glacier.com/

You could drive up to Hatcher's Pass Lodge to stay the night: http://www.hatcherpasslodge.com/

Here's photos from Reflections Lake from last weekend: …blogspot.com/2012/10/reflection-lake-palmer…

Ultimately only you can decide if it's worth it. Seeing the Northern Lights depends on their activity and cloud cover so it's never guaranteed.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nov 9 - 11 trip - yea or nay

If you like hockey, there are college hockey games on Friday and Saturday nights. The Anchorage Daily News even has discounted tickets for the game online.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nov 9 - 11 trip - yea or nay

Only event listed that seems interesting is 10th Annual Alaskan Christmas Bazaar at Anchorage City Church

Don't feel like staying in and reading... I'm usually out and about walking around or taking photos. Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center looks interesting

Guess Portage Glacier and Lake Eklutna. It'll be nice if there were nature sightseeing tours around.

Not much of a sports fan.

Edited: 1:46 pm, November 05, 2012
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nov 9 - 11 trip - yea or nay

Only event listed that seems interesting is 10th Annual Alaskan Christmas Bazaar at Anchorage City Church

Don't feel like staying in and reading... I'm usually out and about walking around or taking photos. Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center looks interesting. Would I get lost going to Matanuska Glacier by myself?

Guess Portage Glacier and Lake Eklutna. It'll be nice if there were nature sightseeing tours around.

Not much of a sports fan.

Edited: 1:48 pm, November 05, 2012
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nov 9 - 11 trip - yea or nay

Unfortunately you will barely get a glimpse of the Portage Glacier from the pullout before the tunnel to Whittier.

I doubt you would get lost finding the Matanuska Glacier (mile 101 of the Glenn Highway) but accessing the glacier itself might be tricky. There is probably some snow there, plus without crampons you wouldn't get very far at all.

The Wildlife Conservation Center is open daily this time of year. Girdwood is a nice town to spend time in.

As you realized, there are no sightseeing tours going on this time of year. Perhaps you could find an air taxi company doing some flightseeing or that will give you a discount on flightseeing.

Talkeetna is very photogenic and has several air taxi companies that might offer you flightseeing this time of year.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nov 9 - 11 trip - yea or nay

Are dog sledding still running?