We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on Seward vs. Denali to/from Anchorage

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on Seward vs. Denali to/from Anchorage

Hello everyone

My family (2 adults, 2 kids and grandma) are planning to arrive to Seward via 7 day cruise. We would like to ride the train from Seward to Anchorage after spending a day or 2 in Seward.

Just wondering...after 7 day cruise and 2 days in Seward + 1 day Anchorage....would you suggest taking a train ride up to Denali? We are not an outdoor family...don't hike. What would we miss if we didn't go to Denali? Please help.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on Seward vs. Denali to/from Anchorage

How old are the kids and how much time do you have? I would suggest the train from Seward to Anchorage but a rental car if you go to Denali. Much shorter trip by car to Denali, cheaper and better lodging when you have a car and you can stop en route.

Lots to see/do in Denali without hiking. Shuttle bus gets you great scenery abd excellent chance to see wildlife. You can also go to the sleddog demo, visitor center, jr ranger activities for the kids and more.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on Seward vs. Denali to/from Anchorage

I too would suggest doing Denali if you have at least 3 more days. I would also recommend having the rental car. The drive is easy to do and the car gives you much more flexibility.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on Seward vs. Denali to/from Anchorage

Thank you for your suggestion. My kids are 13 and 16, and they are keen to see the Denali National Park.

I didn't think about renting a car and driving to Denali. Is it a easy drive and how long is the drive?

Thanks

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on Seward vs. Denali to/from Anchorage

Driving from Anchorage to Denali is 5 hours without traffic, construction or many stops. Train takes a good 8 hours. I usually make stops in Talkeetna, Byers Lake, Veterans Memorial and/or the Denali viewpoints so the drive often takes longer than 5 hours for me.

You absolutely need at least 2 nights (3 days) to visit Denali so you can take the shuttle bus on the full middle day. Lots of entrance-area activities to do as well, plus rafting if of interest just outside the park.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,204 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on Seward vs. Denali to/from Anchorage

I think you and your teens would love Denali, even if you don't hike. You can do the shuttle bus into the park - see some spectacular scenery and wildlife, maybe go on a raft trip, ATV's, flightseeing trip - so much to see & do here and very different from the other areas you would have seen up to this point. :)

Baton ROuge
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on Seward vs. Denali to/from Anchorage

I would go. I think you will regret it if you don't. Being on the cruise you will see the costal stuff. Denali looks complety diffrent then the things you will see on the cruise.

Some of you might like to go on a short Range led hike there is alot to see and do other then hiking. It is a special place IMO. Like others said spend no less then 3 days there.

Eatonville...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on Seward vs. Denali to/from Anchorage

Take the train (or arrange for a shuttle) from Anchorage to Talkeetna. In Talkeetna your priority should be 'flight seeing' with an air taxi. Fly into the Alaska Range and even land on the SE Kahiltna glacier at Denali basecamp (where the mountain climbers begin their ascent). Amazing scenery and an unforgettable experience. The best way to see Denali is from the air!

8. Re: Suggestions on Seward vs. Denali to/from Anchorage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 08, 2013