We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Travel Summer 2013

Orlando, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Alaska Travel Summer 2013

I am planning to take one way cruise from Vancouver to Whittier in June 2013. So I need to book one way ticket to VYR from MCO and retrun from Anchorage. What is the good time to buy the ticket.

Thanks,

Pat

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Travel Summer 2013

Welcome to the forum.

Actually you are looking at a "multi city" or "open jaw" ticket, not two one-way tickets.

The only answer to your question is, "Buy the ticket when it is cheapest." Obviously neither the question nor the answer are realistic.

Monitor fares, know what a "decent" fare is so that when you see a "good" fare you can jump on it.

The correct answer is to buy your ticket when you are comfortable with the price. That way, after you buy your ticket if the price goes down you are satisfied since you bought the ticket at a price you were comfortable with. If the price subsequently goes up, you are even happier.

Are you planning on spending any time in Alaska after the cruise? That would be time well spent if you could spend a few days. Lots to do/see once you get to Whittier and points beyond.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Travel Summer 2013

Welcome to the forum, Pat.......when we travel to Orlando, I often find better prices by taking Alaska Air (our only airline from Juneau) to Seattle and then connecting with Southwest to Orlando......SW has some great fares for some weekday flights......you may be able to work out better rates either returning from Anchorage to Orlando, or arriving in Seattle and taking the ship transfer to Vancouver......

Orlando, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Travel Summer 2013

Thank you fti and Mombear!

I appreciate the response. Right now am when I check the travel sites the multi city is coming up to 650 (to 800 if shortest time) per person. So am not sure whether it is too early to book the ticket. But observing the trend for the last one month looks like it is the standard price.

fti- Yes we are planning to stay another 6 days in Alaska and planning to visit Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks. Any specific local things to do which are not listed on common websites?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,214 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Travel Summer 2013

>>>Any specific local things to do which are not listed on common websites?<<<

Not sure what the common websites are, but you won't get any better "real" advice as what you will find here on Trip Advisor. I'd encourage you to read some of the trip reports to learn a little about what others have found of interest throughout Alaska. (There is a "search" feature you can key in "Trip Reports" to find them.)

As for your ticket price, $650 to $800 is about the norm based on a R/T ticket purchase from Milwaukee, so I'd say it's a reasonable price range.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
122 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Travel Summer 2013

I'd buy at $650 personally. By the way, if you book Alaska Airlines they have a best price guarantee. If you later see a lower fare on the same flight, they will issue a credit for the difference. I've used it a few times and it seems to work well.

Enjoy your cruise and don't forget to spend more than a few hours in and around Anchorage afterwards!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Travel Summer 2013

On December 22nd we arrive in Galveston after a 32-day cruise. From there we needed a flight to Milwaukee from Houston Hobby. Had kept an eye on prices for several months and they appeared to go up. But, my point is are you more interested in getting a deal or guarenteed flights for your cruise?

7. Re: Alaska Travel Summer 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 21, 2013