We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Cruise Day in Anchorage

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
53 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Post Cruise Day in Anchorage

I will be sailing into Whittier at 12:30 am on the 30th. We should be in Anchorage around 11 am. Right now, I have a transfer with Princess. My flight out of Anchorage leaves at 10 pm. I have lots of hours to fill and I don't want to waste them. I will be traveling with my elderly parents. Is there a tour you can recommend? I would appreciate any help. We are on a budget so a medium price would be great.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post Cruise Day in Anchorage

Instead of forking out money for a tour you could rent a car at the airport and see a bit of Anchorage and surrounding area. Be sure to get back to the airport 2 hours before your flight. A car will also give a you a place to store luggage. I checked Budget for another poster earlier and an economy car for a day is about $77 with taxes and fees but not insurance.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post Cruise Day in Anchorage

Are there 3 of you travelling? If so, your Princess transfer is probably close to $200. For $100 more, consider a rental car in Whittier. (Avis is the only vendor). With the car you could take your time and explore the sights and activities along the Turnagain Arm. Even if your parents aren't too mobile they could still enjoy the scenery, a visit to the Wildlife Conservation Center, a short walk along the boardwalk at Potters Marsh to look at swans and other birds, the Visitor Center at Portage Glacier. And going thru the tunnel might be a unique experience for them.

alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-s…

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Post Cruise Day in Anchorage

I agree with Yescanada. Actually the Avis rental is well under $300 for a day including the dropoff fee for an intermediate car. No way to get lost - just one road out of Whittier and one right turn when you get to the Seward Highway. Very scenic with lots of possible stops. You can depart Whittier every hour on the hour through the tunnel. You might get the 9am tunnel.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post Cruise Day in Anchorage

There is also a Whittier shuttle ($5pp) that does a guided commentary from Whittier to Anchorage and stops at the Wildlife conservation centre along the way. About 3 hrs. And they do another tour for about $100 pp that takes in Anchorage also. Worth a look.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Post Cruise Day in Anchorage

$5 per person ?......Either you left out a number or that's one heck of a deal LOL

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Post Cruise Day in Anchorage

$45 pp

sorry my fingers are freezing and I didn't get to edit in time : )

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Post Cruise Day in Anchorage

Actually, the cost of a Princess transfer is $54 ($162 for three persons and far less than $200). The tunnel trip will be the same for the bus, rental car or train. If you rent a car in Anchorage (airport or downtown) you could drive northerly as you would have already gone by the Turnagain Arm. Such a visit could be Independence Mine at Hatcher Pass. That trip would be entirely different scenic trip compared to the Turnagain Arm and what you saw on your cruise.

8. Re: Post Cruise Day in Anchorage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 21, 2013