We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooper Landing to Whittier - where to catch train

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
69 reviews
Save Topic
Cooper Landing to Whittier - where to catch train

Will be in Cooper Landing late August. Driving rental car. Kids want to 'take a train' and 'see a glacier'. We want to take an afternoon cruise on Marine Marine out of Whittier. Alaska Railroad has a day tour package for train from Girdwood to Whittier, including Major Marine glacier cruise from Whittier.

My question: Is driving to Girdwood, parking car, taking train to Whittier workable? I've seen something about hopping on board at Portage, but can't tell if it's just a wide spot in the road or if there's parking area or ???

Also, is extra expense for the more expensive train fare worth it? I don't mind spending the money if it's a big difference in the train ride, but I don't want to waste money either. Thanks for any advice.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooper Landing to Whittier - where to catch train

Portage has a large parking area. The train ride to Whittier is very short so I would not spend the extra money. Going from Portage will be a bit longer train ride but follows the road so the scenery will be the same.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooper Landing to Whittier - where to catch train

if it's a train ride you want there are better options than Girdwood or Portage to Whittier. You could take Glacier Discovery Train from Portage to Spencer or Grandview, both not reachable by road. Get on at Girdwood and will pass through Whittier also.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooper Landing to Whittier - where to catch train

I meant to say that going from Girdwood would be a longer train ride but following the highway. As k2iks suggests, If you do want a longer more scenic ride the Grandview and Spencer trains are a nice.

4. Re: Cooper Landing to Whittier - where to catch train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, June 20, 2013