We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Vacation

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Alaska Vacation

Hello All,

I am planninga week long vacation with my wife in Alaska in August. Since we have never been before I don't know where to start. I am going to be flying in and out of Anchorage We would like to try cover the following locations during our stay

1.Seward

2.Kenai Fjords

3.Denali

I don't want to rent a car but want to try travel mostly by motorcoach, rail road and cruise and am looking at a travel package deal.

When I did a seach for travel agencies there were several dozen that popped up. Can you please recommend the best travel agents?

Would we be better off in planning our iternary ourselves as opposed to going through a travel agent?

Thanks in advance for you help

Regards

Raj

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Vacation

You don't need a travel agent.......book a package tour directly through the provider, Alaska Railroad.......most cruises are a week long, so the only cruise you could do would be a day cruise in Kenai Fjords......again, contact them directly on their website.....no need to get a third party travel agent involved.....

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Vacation

Raj K I think you first need to decide your starting point as the distance from Seward to Denali covers a vast amount of territory. Yes you can do all the bookings yourself. The Alaska Railroad has some pretty nice packages although I was able to do the train from Anchorage to Whittier and the Glacier Cruise thing cheaper by book them separately. That is do in a large part to me getting resident discounts. Since you are not renting a car I (who loves the train) would at least you taking the train to Seward and then you can hire a tour guide/taxi to run you around and maybe drive you back to Anchorage.

New York
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Vacation

Without a car, you need more time if you use the railroad. I would suggest the railroad round trip Anchorage/Seward with 1-2 nights, and at least 6 hours on a Kenai Fjords Boat tour. There is plenty else to see and do in Seward.

Need a night in Anchorage, then a bus to Denali park- with at least 2, but ideally 3 nights there. With a shuttle bus to at least Eielson. Should also have a day, depending on the timing for a look at Anchorage.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Vacation

There is no need for an agent; easy to book on your own. The trains and buses generally have one departure per day.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/

http://www.alaskacoach.com/

Go to the ALASKA forum, and look under the Top Questions for a link to last summers trip reports. I'm sure you'll find some trips via train or bus that will give you some ideas about how to spend your time. You'll also find first hand recommendations for lodging. Although without a car your options will be somewhat limited.

5. Re: Alaska Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, June 21, 2013