We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do from Anchorage

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do from Anchorage

I have made the mistake by booking 2+1 nights in Anchorage and now need to find what can be done from there.

We (2 adults) are arriving by ship into Seward on 24th August, have a transfer to Anchorage arriving 1.pm.

Do not leave until 8.15am 26th via rail to Denali.

Will be taking shuttle on 27th into park to Eielson.

28th ..Taking train back to Anchorage 12.15pm arriving 8.pm.

29th ...Transfer to Seward does not leave until 3.pm

30th ..Doing 6 hour Kenai Fjords Tour.

31st ... Taking cruise back to Vancouver.

So we have 2 half days and a full day to fill in Anchorage and a few hours in the morning in Denali.

Would love some local help please.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do from Anchorage

So glad to see you are spending a whole day in Denali & taking a shuttle to Eielson. You could upgrade to Wonder Lake if the mountain is out.

Are you willing to get a rental car for the 25th when you are in Anchorage?

What are your interests? Museums? Native Cultural Center? Hiking? Biking?

There is so much to do around Anchorage!

Edited: 9:34 pm, May 19, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do from Anchorage

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60880-i350-k52545…

Renting a car for a day will let you do a lot more.

Drive or go by train:

tripadvisor.com/…40951846

tripadvisor.com/…34638546

mrwhitekeys.com/mrwhitekeys.com/WHALE_FAT_FO…

http://www.alaskanative.net/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do from Anchorage

I assume then that your Anchorage hotel can't be cancelled?

For your morning in Denali, visit the free sled dog demo at 10am. or take the free courtesy bus to Savage River at Mile 15 and hike, or take one of the smaller hikes around the entrance area, or go river rafting.

This is a link to the park newspaper, Alpenglow, where you'll find info on the sled dogs and maps of trails:

www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/loader.cfm…

If you're up for renting a car, you could drive north to Matanuska Glacier for a day trip,maybe try an ice trek:

alaska.org/driving/matanuska-glacier-drive.h…

Or drive south along the Turnagain Arm where you can easily spend a day.

alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-s…

For activities in Anchorage:

http://www.anchorage.net/features

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do from Anchorage

Yes, unfortunately we cannot cancel the accommodation in Anchorage.

Renting a car is out of the question, we drive on the opposite side of the road at home and the last time I asked my husband to that was definately the last.

Our interests would be looking at your beautiful scenery and we don't mind walking.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do from Anchorage

There are tons of non driving things to do in Anchorage. Look at the things to do tab on the top left of this page. I bet it will be the best "mistake" you make on your trip to Alaska.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do from Anchorage

I assume you're staying downtown during your time in Anchorage. If so, you will have wonderful options for restaurants, we hwonder rand new, world class museum, walking downtown and looking at our unbelieveably gorgeous flowers, rent a bike and cruise our coastal trail on bike or foot. Just the scenery alone will blow you away! You will be surrounded by our gorgeous mountains and while it may not be hot, the weather should still be nice. And it could be hot, it we are super lucky! :-)

It will still be light enough for you to enjoy our longer days. We have fantastic shops for unique gifts....not just the t-shirt tourist stuff....but original art that is affordable to quite spendy depending on your pocketbook. If you are here for a Saturday, do check out our huge Saturday market for food, fun and entertainment plus awesome stuff to take home to remind you of your Alaskan adventures!

I agree with the previous poster that more time in Anchorage isn't the worst thing that could happen to you! Enjoy all of your trip.....the best thing about my home of fifty years, we are the friendliest people ever. Happy travels!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do from Anchorage

P.S. Simon and Seaforts is a great restaurant downtown with fabulous views of our inlet. We just ate dinner there for mother's day and it was so yummy! Their fish is the best! After lunch, you could walk across the street and rent bikes. You are right next to the coastal trail and you will see our town in a very different way from a bike. Our son (22) spent time in Oregon going to college and he couldn't wait to get home to our coastal trail. Do make sure to stay to the right as we have some speedy bikers. We have so many yummy restaurants in downtown Anchorage alone, you could spend the two and a half days eating and walking it off looking at our flowers. We also have local artists design salmon art pieces for display all over downtown. It can be fun to do the "salmon walking tour"! Take plenty of photos cause you will find lots to photograph!

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do from Anchorage

Where are you staying in Anchorage? Which hotel?

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do from Anchorage

Sorry if I have sounded negative about my stay in Anchorage ... the problem is and I have just realised.... is that I have booked the accom at the wrong hotel ... the Wyndham Hotel Group has a few hotels in Anchorage and I have booked Days Inn ... thankfully it is still in downtown, I have now read the reviews and they are not good.

On the full day I was trying to organise to go to Whittier and do the PWS tour, it would be a 12 hour long day and I thought a lot like the tour from Seward and then I read that it wasn't operating this year ???

The "salmon walking tour" sounds good ... will that be easy to find.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do from Anchorage

Hi Elaine....It's called Salmon on Parade and in years past local artists have decorated salmon figures quite uniquely and they are displayed around town. I googled it for this year and can't find info.....but I did find an awesome list on tripadvisor things to do / places! It gives a list of over 50 things to do in Anchorage. If I was better at copy and paste I would do that for you. My skills need improving! At the end of our visitor season, the salmon are auctioned off to benefit a charity. You will find one of these salmon on display at the airport in a shop by the Chili's restaurant. It will be in the window.

Usually you can get maps from the Chamber of Commerce and just walk around town checking the salmon out in their various display places. Sorry about the mix up in hotels. I think Days Inn is downtown in a central area of town. I hope it turns out better than you might expect.

My guy and I are hoping to make an effort to spend more time having fun in our our town this summer! We get so busy in summer with work that we don't do enough fun local things. I intend to use that list to give us a head start. Your trip will be wonderful.....have fun! Deb

Mentioned in this post