We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prince Wm. Sound vs Kenai Fjords Cruise

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pa
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Prince Wm. Sound vs Kenai Fjords Cruise

I am on limited time in Anchorage. Between Prince William Sound and Kenai Fjords cruises which would you choose if you only had time for one? Thanks

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prince Wm. Sound vs Kenai Fjords Cruise

I'm still a few months from my visit, but for what it's worth, my research indicates Prince William Sound for Glaciers, and Kenai Fjords for abundant wildlife (Puffins, Otter, etc)

I hope a local expert will correct me.

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prince Wm. Sound vs Kenai Fjords Cruise

I would recomm Kenai Fjords NP with at least a 6hr tour. You will see several glaciers up close and personal, wildlife including sea otters, hopefully humpback whales, orcas, 10 million different sea birds and bird rookeries along the cliffs, puffins. Sometimes goats or sheep on cliffs. In addition, right on edge of Seward, you can walk up short walk to base of Exit Glacier to really be close and personal!!! PWS may have more glaciers, but the variety of Kenai Fjords should make more interesting tour.

Anchorage
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prince Wm. Sound vs Kenai Fjords Cruise

I would go with Kenai Fjords. I have lived here a couple years and a glacier becomes just a glacier. If you feel the need to see one in a beautiful setting, Portage glacier has a boat ride out and back in an hour for a reasonable price. They also have the Begich Boggs center which is a very nice facility. We have done both Whittier and Kenai cruises and like the Kenai best. More wildlife and clear skies. Whittier based cruises boast calmer waters, but the ones we have been on are foggy or rainy. Whittier is an extremely interesting town to scope out or lunch. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
122 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prince Wm. Sound vs Kenai Fjords Cruise

I agree with the above opinions regarding Seward vs Whittier and would recommend KFNP. I'd also point out however that Whittier is closer to ANC than is Seward by about an hour. If you're really pressed for time, perhaps that helps.

You'll love either one. You'll love KFNP more.

Welcome to Alaska!