We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

richardson highway circle trip back to anchorage - advise...

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
richardson highway circle trip back to anchorage - advise...

We are planning to do the circular trip from anchorage north to denali and fairbanks with a return via the richardson highway to glenallen then glenn highway back to anchorage.

We finish our Denali time on a Monday to go to Fairbanks (plan to do Riverboat Discovery trip at 2pm) and will be flying out of anchorage on weds evening.

Comments on our schedule - drive times between fairbanks & glenallen/then glenallen to anchorage?

Looking for more info on the Fairbanks Ice Museum - it is not clear if this is open or worth seeing in July?

We are RVing - have read good things about staying at Tolsona Wilderness Campground, near Glenallen. Good for Tues. night stay? or should we continue on to the Palmer or Wasilla area? We don't want to RV camp in Anchorage, but we will have a few more sights to see in town before our flight out in the evening.

Should we plan to see the musk oxen in fairbanks vs. palmer area?

Will we have trouble finding RV parking at the museums in the Anchorage area?

Thanks foryour help. The more I read, the more questions I come up with!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: richardson highway circle trip back to anchorage - advise...

The Fairbanks Ice Museum is open all summer. They show a video of still shots and give a little presentation about our the World Ice Art Championship which is held this month. Besides the Discovery River Boat tour, which I recommend, you might also enjoy our fabulous new museum and/or the Eldorado Gold Mine. You can also go visit the Trans-Alaska Pipeline just north of town or go out to Chena Hot Springs 60 miles east of town.

Eagle River Alaska
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: richardson highway circle trip back to anchorage - advise...

Tolsona camground is OK. I stayed there on a motorcycle trip several years ago. The roads in the campground are unpaved but I don't remember it being too dusty, it's in the trees and the camping spots are pretty big. It's far enough off the road to be fairly quiet. I would not drive from Faribanks, Glennallen to Anchorage in one day. Take your time. There is usually plenty of parking at the museums. It would be a good idea to call the museum first and ask for the best place to park your RV.

Have fun.

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: richardson highway circle trip back to anchorage - advise...

thanks for your responses. I guess I was not clear about the drive time question - How long will it take to get from glenallen to anchorage? Should we push further to Palmer for our overnight stay?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,426 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: richardson highway circle trip back to anchorage - advise...

Gee, I haven't done that stretch for awhile, and they have improved the hwy - it's about 4 hrs I think from Glennallen to Anchorage, w/o stops, which I am sure you will be doing. :)

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: richardson highway circle trip back to anchorage - advise...

thanks coalminer, that helps us to be realistic about our time.

Now, anyone have a comment about the musk ox farms? Are they worth a visit? Palmer or Fairbanks location better?