We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in May/Early June

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Silver Spring, MD
2 posts
Save Topic
Hiking in May/Early June

I am in the early stages of planning a vacation to Alaska but was discourage when I read that hiking is difficult to impossible in late May/early June due to snow still covering the trails. Is this really the case? Is this going to be true in most locations or some. We are thinking of hiting the Denali area and south central coast. We typically do day hikes in the 5 to 10 mile range.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in May/Early June

You'll probably be fine depending on where in the park you want to go. Here are some pictures. You'll probably want to travel on river bars or have waterproof foot wear and extra socks if hiking on the tundra.

Quick drive into Denali in April 05. photobucket.com/albums/…

Quick hike on the Savage River Trail in May 04 with my kids, in the rain. photobucket.com/albums/…

Anchorage, Ak
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in May/Early June

Where did you hear that? In general there are many hikes open that time of year. You will find snow a couple thousand feet up in some places but you do not have to stick to the river beds. In Denali trails are few with cross country travel being far more common. However the trails near the visitor's center are nice and were clear when i've hiked them in late may. Where along the sc coast are you thinking about? there are great hikes near anchorage that time of year. Bird ridge is one of the best allthough you will hit snow near the top.

greg

Silver Spring, MD
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in May/Early June

Greg,

I read it in a travel guide book. Not sure exactly where we will be in sc. Just starting to do our planning but assume we will stay several days in Seward and Homer area to hike and also try some sea kayaking. Any recommendations you have for trails would be grealty appreciated.