We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV- Hookups, Waste, Electric etc

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
RV- Hookups, Waste, Electric etc

Never having rented an RV we are a bit apprehensive about it. How often can we find hookups for electric, water, waste and whatever else we need for an RV?

Are there rest areas at the exits? Do these areas have hookups? How often would we need to hook up an RV (we are booking a 29" motorhome)

Thanks in advance!

Sam

Eagle River Alaska
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV- Hookups, Waste, Electric etc

I've lived in Alaska 30 years. I think your in for a lot of driving. You should plan to average about 50 miles per hour in the RV. The roads here are not bad but they are not freeways. You may be trying to see too much in the limited time you have planned. There are lots of rv parks on the highway system with everything you will need in the way of hook ups and waste dumps etc. Plan on paying about $30 a night for full hook up rv parks. If you don't have a copy of "The Milepost" you must buy one. It has all the travel information your looking for. I lived in Seward in the late 70's. Beautiful but expect it to be raining while your there. Stop at Talkeetna on your way to Denali and take a flight tour of the mountain. Not cheap but you'll never forget it. Don't forget the bug dope!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,633 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV- Hookups, Waste, Electric etc

I would also suggest many of the state parks - cheaper, and they usually have water/dump, but not electricity. We have found we can usually stay for 2-3 days (depending how many are w/) but we also have a generator if needed. I like the state campgrounds vs private, as they usually have people packed in like sardines. You can also camp in Denali Park w/your RV - even to Teklanika, which is in the park aways and would be a wonderful experience. Get your groceries in Anchorage and you will be all set! :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: RV- Hookups, Waste, Electric etc

But if you plan to stay in Denali, better to get reservations soon.

Chicago
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV- Hookups, Waste, Electric etc

Rented Rv for first time last year, going again this summer, loved it! Can't agree with Coalminer more, stay at the State Parks if you can. I stayed in smaller ones without dumps or water, usually two nights each. There was plenty of room, trees, etc.. between the campsites so your not in an RV parking lot. I stayed in a full service (cable, dump, electric at each space) in Homer, paid dearly and didnt feel I was getting the Alaskan outdoor experience. Pay $10 per night and camp accross from your private waterfall. Look at my trip post from last summer to find that great campsite! Mums the word, don't want to have all the spots taken when I am back this July!