We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anchorage hotel-weather-tours

lakeland florida
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
anchorage hotel-weather-tours

what is the best time of year to go to alaska. don't want it to cold or rainy. I'm looking at around the first part of Oct. I would like a nice hotel that is close to shopping- resturants -tours. would like to hear any ideas of what to do and see while there

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: anchorage hotel-weather-tours

By October it is starting to get cold here. Where in AK are you planning on going? I mean, the interior has a far different climate then the southern coastal areas. Make sure and avoid this Super 8 hotel in Anchorage. You can read about what happened to us here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60880-d7370…

Mentioned in this post
Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: anchorage hotel-weather-tours

By far the best time to visit Alaska is in the summer. June and July are by far the best, by august it gets rainy, especially in Anchorage and Juneau. In Anchorage, The Marriott, Hilton and Sheraton are all very nice hotels and within walking distance of shopping, day tours, food, etc. If you are flying to Alaska, my suggestion is rent a car in Anchorage and do two trips. The first, trip drive up to Denali (Mt McKinley) and Fairbanks. Denali is about 4 hours from Anchorage. Fairbanks is about 2 hours further. The second is what alot of folks in Anchorage call a good sampling of the most of Alaska in 2 days. You drive from Anchorage to Valdez, spend the night and catch the ferry back to Whittier (which is close to Anchorage). On this 2 day trip, you see forest, mountains, tundra, glaciers, rivers, waterfalls and fjords all in one trip!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Denali
Denali
2,188 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
mrn
anchorage,ak
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: anchorage hotel-weather-tours

I have to agree with my fellow Alaskans, Oct. is not the time to come here if you don't want cold. The summer months are much better weather wise ( it can range from 50-high 70's)We also saw some 80 degree weather last summer. I agree with Alaskaman that if you want to stay downtown, the Comfort Inn, Hilton and Sheraton are right in the middle of downtown. However, they have built so many more hotels around and our shopping centers are spread out too. Downtown shopping has Alaskana shops you can walk to and art galleries in a row. All the malls also have Alaskana stores and we also have some independent gift shops scattered around town as well as a crafters emporium that has very unique items. You will most likely need to rent a car. If you come in Oct. it will be too cold to walk to some of these places or stand at the bus stop for long periods of time. You could always take a cab, though. A lot of the tours shut down or are very limited right around Labor Day until Memorial Day. Yor best bet is to come up June-July when all are open and you could take a wildlife cruise, flightseeing tour or railroad trip to Seward or Denali, the landscape is spectacular. Good Luck and hope I helped.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska