We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage in november?

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Anchorage in november?

My husband and I are traveling to Anchorage for the first time during the month of November (6 days) we are really excited!

We come al the way from Florida. Big change…

We have 4 questions:

1) What is there to do during the month of November?

2) We want to spend a relax and romantic time, any B&B in particular?

3) Should we rent a car?

4) Best place to see the northern lights?

Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,375 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage in november?

Hello! Am hoping those helpful Anchorage folks will jump on the forum to give you more details. Here is one site for B&B's in the Anchorage area, so that you can start looking . . . http://www.anchorage-bnb.com/index.htm I have a friend that stayed in one that offered massage and jacuzzi's - when I get that recommendation, I will post that for you. That sounds relaxing and romantic to me. :)

You will have to drive out of Anchorage and away from city lights to have a good viewing of the Northern lights. Let's home the weather is clear for you then. Hope this get's things going for you.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,187 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage in november?

You should definitely rent a car because we have limited public transportation and none after early evening really. Taxis are pretty expensive. The northern lights are totally unpredictable but coalminer is right - you need to be able to drive out of the city lights to see them very well. There are some web sites that try to predict northern lights - try the University of Alaska Fairbanks web site as they do research on the lights and might post predictions on when they will be "out." Sorry to tell you that we can go weeks without seeing them sometimes. November is an in between month for things to do because it isn't really winter yet but the weather is pretty chilly for outdoor activities. You might think about going up to Alyeska(the local ski and recreation area) for a couple of days and renting a condo with a hot tub or staying at the Alyeska Resort hotel - rates should be pretty good because the ski hill is very unlikely to be open yet and there isn't much else out there but it's really pretty, there's a great (also read somewhat expensive) restaurant at the top of a lovely tram ride from the hotel (you can ride the tram without eating at the restaurant) and the drive to Alyeska (abourt 40 mi from Anchorage) is considered one of the top ten most beautiful drives in the world. In town, the museum is open, the Native Haritage Center will be open but with limited hours, I think. There may be bazaars of local crafts with a view to Christmas. Hope this helps. If we can offer any more info, just post. I am taking off for about 10 days but others will answer or I will when I get back.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
117 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage in november?

Hi there, I totally agree with kileysmom. We didn't go to Alyeska but we took that road to go to Whittier. It was 2 weeks ago. It was the MOST AMAZING road trip we have ever ever taken!!!!! so gorgeous and beautiful. AMAZING. It was absolutely fall, the colors were breath taking. Hope you will have the same experience!!!! Check Payless rental car. We had a AWSOME deal with them. Enjoy your trip and good luck with the Northern Lights (we didn't see them!!!)...Alaska is gorgeous!!!!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
117 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchorage in november?

I forgot: while we were in Anchorage we drove to the little Hot Chena Park-resort (15' south Anchorage) ...totally dark, pitch black. You can just drive there, park the car and good luck :)

Anchorage
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anchorage in november?

Hi, There are places that will take you on a dog sled ride or you can rent snowmachines at various locations out of town. Alyeska ski resort is a good suggestion. If you want to see some moose take a drive out towards Palmer and stop at the flats, you will know you are there as you will have just crossed 2 bridges, look to the west. The first time I drove to Alaska was in November of 1968, and I remember coming around the corner into the flats from Palmer and looking out and seeing what I thought was a herd of cattle being the farmboy from Iowa. After I drove a little ways I could see that it was hundreds of moose.

One thing to be aware of is that most rental cars do not have studs, so if you can't find one that does I would suggest an all wheel drive vehicle. Our snow removal is not always the best.

Hope this helps.

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anchorage in november?

Kileysmom,

Are the Kenai Fjords NP tours still running in Nov? Driving down to Seward and back would be a nice day. Or even spend one night if tours are still running.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,375 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anchorage in november?

jq: just checked - the tours in Seward stop running early October . . . but Seward is still a fun place to visit. http://www.seward.com/ for anyone interested on what is happening in Seward - they even have a webcam. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,375 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anchorage in november?

Hello again - I am back w/the B&B recommendation I promised via my local friend - her husband and her are returning in November. Here is the website: www.alaskafrontiergardens.com/index.html

Looks very romantic and in a pretty part of Anchorage. Hope this helps. :)

Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anchorage in november?

Thank you so much for all the replies and great ideas. We are so excited.

We are defiantly renting a car.

Someone recommended me a B&B called Northen Castle…

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anchorage in november?

Ok,

The idea of a romantic time for husband and wife inspired another secret out of the bag. Rent a car & make sure you get chains, studs or 4WD. DO NOT let that scare you! That is just the normal caution we give. If you do not like snow, book 1 night. If you like snow, wilderness, mountains and maybe northern lights (arrange your own solar flares to max the display, my influence is minimal) book two nights. Book before you come at

http://www.hatcherpasslodge.com/

You will see summer photos. This area is THE hang-out for winter nuts, it is high in the mountains at an old gold mine, the lodge people are super, the food ranges from good to great, and it is a great place to be. They also know the area and directly support the winter snow-rescue efforts in the surrounding craggy mountains. This is high so there will be snow. You can try snow shoeing and cross country skiing, ,,, and I don't know what all else they offer. Come during the week for a quieter time and on weekends for lots of local flavor.

But it is isolated and friendly and gives you a good chance to see northern lights and enjoy hot chocolate and create a romantic evening.

DO NOT hurry on your way back to AnchorTown (Anchorage). Stop in Palmer at the Hotel (that is probably the real name) on Main Street. It is great for meals and superb for coffee and your favorite cake or pie. It is a regular with locals and has old town (1930's) atmosphere. Come out on the new highway and go back along the old highway. Locals will tell you the difference.

Since '71