We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental rv alaska

mandeville...
1 post
Save Topic
rental rv alaska

Based upon my recent experience, I definitely do not recommend Great Alaska Holidays for an Alaskan RV rental. Our flight to Alaska was cancelled by the airline due to Hurricane Katrina. We live just outside New Orleans and in addition to having our lives turned upside down, we suffered (along with everyone else) enormous property damage and basically lost our whole way of life as we knew it before August 29. Every provider that we had booked with - our fishing trip with Joe Conners in Soldotna, the Alaska Marine Highway, Wrangell Mountain Air - cooperated with us and gave us a full refund. The exception was Great Alaskan Holidays. The folks there required us - during our evacuation to Dallas - imagine! to find a fax machine and fax them a letter before they would even cancel the reservation. They never confirmed receipt of the cancellation until I checked back with them. We didn't have mail for two weeks after we got home but when i findally got a reply, their position was that I had been made aware of their policy, they could not re-rent the vehicle, and thus we forfeited the deposit. I am surprised and disappointed in this merchant's attitude. Had I voluntarily cancelled my trip, I could understand but I couldn't have gotten to Alaska except in a rowboat. We lived in Alaska for fifteen years and I would not have expected this from an Alaskan company - where people are used to adversity and pull together. Oh well, you live and learn. I'll be rv'ing in Alaska next year but it won't be in a Great Alaskan Holidays vehicle. My advice: rent from somebody with a heart. By the way, have a great trip. Alaska is a beautiful place. It's probably the most beautiful place on the face of the earth and you can't go wrong no matter what road you take. And do book long in advance at Denali.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
867 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental rv alaska

That is very unfortunate to hear (both the hurricane damage and the RV company's choice to not refund your money). You would think that a company would join the rest of America in helping well-exposed (meaning it is all over the news) people in need. Seems like one of the stories you hear on the news about a local company that gets exposed for not helping. Did you have to pay the deposit or for the entire reservation?

I was planning on booking through Great Alaskan Holidays and am disappointed in that type of service. Did you run across another RV company to recommend?

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
665 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental rv alaska

I'm surprised too. They are one of the better recommended rv rental companies. Not to sound harsh, but you didn't buy trip insurance when you started booking your trip pieces? Just wondering. We were hoping to get to New Orleans for the first time next year for a week or at least to take a cruise from there. Guess we will wait a while. I hope you come out okay with all the other home stuff. Best wishes.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Carcross, Yukon
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: rental rv alaska

I'm sorry about your loss, genemo, but I don't see why Great Alaska should take a beating as well. RV rentals aren't the sort of thing that people do on the spur of the moment, so it can't be compared to fishing trips and such - they would have just had a rig sitting idle. As has been said, they are one of the most-recommended of RV rentals outfits here.

Murray

Anchorage
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: rental rv alaska

genemo, If you want to vent yourself, and share your experience with others, you can log onto our daily newspaper and write a letter to the editor for all to see. www.adn.com/opinion

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rental rv alaska

I respectfully will disagree with ExplorNorth. I'm sure that rv did not sit there. Yes, most rv rental is in advance but one sitting during the summer is just not likely. I can see the company charging a relisting fee or something but to not refund in this circumstance is just bad publicity for them. Guess they can deal with that though.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,062 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental rv alaska

Hi, I am so sorry about your losses to the hurricane and hope it wasn't made worse by Rita. Regarding your rental experience, did the company make any offer to refund your money if they could re-book the unit? If not, I agree completely with the other post about sending a letter to the editor and would add that a letter to the state tourist folks (I'm on my way out to a conference and don't have time to look but the address is on the state website = state.ak.us) and a letter to the Anchorage visitors and convention bureau wouldn't be out of place. They treated you horribly even if they didn't re-book. Were you wanting an instant refund or were you willing to wait until it was convenient to send them the documentation they felt they needed? I guess this is a good ad for trip insurance - I rarely get it as did for several years and never needed it. I will have to re-think my position on it. I say again - best of luck in rebuilding your lives there. Take care!