We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alaska trip?

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scottsdale
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
alaska trip?

what Is alaska worth seeing? what is the best way to go? cruise vs americawest airlines trip, or just getting to ank and renting a car? which hotels to say at and what to do there? any info would be great.

Juneau, AK
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: alaska trip?

Personally I would fly here and rent a car from Anch; go to Seward, go to Girdwood, Homer, Kenai. It's all great & so beautiful. you can even drive to Fbanks or rent a motor home in Anch and travel that way. You can't beat Alaska for travel.

TN
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: alaska trip?

SCOTTS - AK is definately worth seeing. My husband and I did a 7 day cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage then a 4 day land tour from Anchorage to Fairbanks. You can add on as many days as you like to the land tour. You can't beat the scenery any where! There is so much to see - the landscape, glaciers, rivers, lakes, wildlife. The freshest air you will ever breathe.

GERMAN - I am jealous that you live in AK. I would give anything to live there. My husband and I were there August 2003 and LOVED every second of it. We especially liked Juneau. We took the helicopter glacier tour with ERA, we loved it and wished it was longer.

Alaska is the most beautiful place on earth (that we've seen so far). It's truly God's Country. Very natural.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alaska trip?

Hello! I have lived in several other states, but this is home and what a beautiful place we have to live in and enjoy. A cruise thru the Southeast is beautiful, but limits you to that climate of rainforest and ocean, and Alaska has so much more! Maybe a cruise and drive would be best, and perhaps some flying, too - many people have no idea how large Alaska truly is. You can drive all of our main highways and only see about 1/4 of the state.

If you do come inland, I would rent a car in either Anchorage or Fairbanks, and drive to as many places as you care to see, besides those cities. Homer, Seward, Palmer, Valdez, Denali Park, etc., just to name a few.

Also, I would consider using B&B's, if you aren't camping. While in the lower 48, B&B's are ususally more expensive than hotels, that isn't true here. Our B&B's are usually cheaper and that includes your breakfast, too. Food and eating out in Alaska is not cheap, so that combination really helps. Depends on what you are comfortable with. Even the average cheap hotels like a Super 8 climb to about $120 a night during our summers and nicer hotels are way more than that. So, I would research for the best deals before coming here, if cost is a factor for you. Book earlier - our tourist season is quite busy.

It all depends on what you want to experience - some people find Alaska too rustic and primative, even our cities. But most people I know who visit the state are in awe of what is up here to see and experience. Good luck! :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alaska trip?

Hi, Scottsdale! There is something in Alaska for nearly every taste - no ocean beach such a CA or FL but we have some decent beach areas on the Inlet up from the Pacific. If you have the time, I suggest driving - you can take a car on the ferry from Seattle/Vancouver area and then drive all over. The ferry is worth the trip at least one way and the Alaska Highway is a beautiful road to travel - it depends on how much time, how much money and what you are interested in doing....why not post more information about what you are looking for?

Montana
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: alaska trip?

As you have looked into places to go and to stay, have you looked into places to stay (perferably a cabin) in Anchor Point? Anyone have any into. Going end of July.

Montana
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: alaska trip?

As you have looked into places to go ect., have you checked on places to stay in Anchor Point (perferably a cabin)? We are planning our trip for end of July and thought maybe a less populated place might be more relaxing between fishing, clamming, seeing everything. Anyone have any info.?

Missouri
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alaska trip?

I just returned from AK. Had the most wonderful trip of my life there. We stayed further down at homer in a cabin. Small cabin big enough for couple and one child. The view was awesome. Right on Kachmak bay. A glacier right in front of you on the porch. You can go to thier web site at alaskabythesea.com. We went thru anchor point mostly fishing cabins looked to me like nice place but I think you will enjoy Homer better and not that much farther. The cabin we rented was 150.00 a night worth it all. If you go to the site we stayed at the Kittiwake cabin. She has more but don't know about them but ours was awesome. The view was breathtaking an oh so relaxing. Have any more question be glad to help just returned this week.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alaska trip?

If you are not camping, definitely consider the B&B idea. We did that twice and I just loved sitting down to breakfast in a warm homey atmosphere.

There is lots to see in Alaska. Every town has its own uniqueness. If you go in July, there are several festivals.

The weather is beautiful and even that varies throughout the state.

If you cruise, that is a whole lot of time on a ship. For me, there was no comparison to getting in a car and exploring. The scenery made long drive times just fly by.

You will truly enjoy this memorable trip. I hope you have read my review on what we did there as well as Chevron and Thinkingblond2000. Lots of info for you.