We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo traveler

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
solo traveler

Hi all---I'm a solo female traveler who's flying into Anchorage for five days in June. The easy part was buying the ticket---now I've got to decide what to do! I'm looking for itinerary suggestions---I'm interested in seeing glaciers/fjords (Alaska scenery), taking the Alaskan railroad to Seward, some basic hiking (no camping though.) I've given thought to going to Denali for a day or two (maybe some white water rafting?) What do you guys think? Thanks.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo traveler

There are lots of ideas on Alaska.com and Anchorage.net. Be careful, buy pepper spray, watch out for yourself. There have been a few lone tourists turn up missing each year. Don't want to worry you dear but be aware, Alaska has it's share of bad characters. If you're looking for lodging there are lists of hostels and B&Bs on the Anchorage sight.

anchorage
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: solo traveler

it will be daylight almost all day in June! You have many hours to explore and sightsee. The train to Whittier ( via a one-way tunnel thru the mountain) or car . The tunnel is cool...cars go thru one way while traffic is stopped on the other side, then the reverse. Whittier has several "day cruises" that offer spectacular sightseeing...whales, glaciers, mountains, sealife, etc. Also there is a train to Seward and many of the same sightseeing tour boats. Both are worth the trip. Going farther south there is the small town of Homer. quaint and cultured. nice beaches and interesting characters. Just outside of Seward there is a nice approx 1 mile hike to Exit Glacier.

Denali is several hundred miles the other direction. (north of Anch) so it might be tough to go both directions injust five days, but you could make it work. I would suggest a car, if you can get one this late. A day in Anch downtown is also fun. Many flowers, shops, eatery, and interesting local flair.

you will not run out of things to see and do!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo traveler

Thanks to both of you! I'm going to shell out the extra bucks and stay in a nice hotel downtown (I can get a decent rate at the Hawthorn suites with a gov affiliation). I was thinking of spending day 1 checking out downtown Anchorage and visiting the heritage center. Then Day 2 taking the AK RR to Seward, doing a fjords cruise (6hr), and taking the RR back (one day package tour), Departing for Denali on Day 3 via bus/doing a raft in the afternoon, spending Day 4 in Denali hiking, Day 5 leaving Denali at 12p and arriving in Anchorage at 6P, spending the night in Anchorage, and returning home on a midday flight on Day 6. How does that sound? Its a little rushed but I think it will give me the flavor of what I want to see.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solo traveler

Articgal---I'm interested in the glaciers---in terms of one-day tours offered by AK RR what's your opinion on Whittier vs Seward vs Spencer. Thanks for your help!!!

anchorage
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: solo traveler

MPL-

Well- both have advantages. Whittier is closer, only about 1hr and Seward is more like 2.5. Whittier is very tiny, the tunnel is cool to go thru...but the town itself offers not much. Seward is bigger, more shops, bigger harbor, restaraunts etc. Here are a few websites...www.princewilliamsound.com, www kenaifjords.com, www.26glaciers.com, www.majormarine.com . i hear 26 glaciers is cool. we have our own boat so i myself have never been on one. i am sure all are similar. also ck out denalinationalpark.com and mckinleycabins.com and denalialaska.com --lots of info you will be soo excited.oh i can get rafting info if you want. i work at the airport and can get all the brochures.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,188 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: solo traveler

Hi, you need to know that the Hawthorn Suites isn't downtown - it's in what we call mid-town and about 5 miles from the downtown area - should be easy to catch a city bus - they're safe in the daytime, taxi home after dinner - to get downtown. Anything besides our actual downtown is very much like business areas in suburbs in a large city and not much to see. If you plan to stay at either Denali, Seward or Whittier, you need to look into whether hyou can get a reservation - lots of places are booked now. That might be the decider for your itinerary! Hope it works out and you have a great time!

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: solo traveler

i would take a cruise out of seward' as said before, they have more shopping options and the like, as well as the sealife center which is a great way to kill a few hours.

as also said, you should def. make reservations, as a lot of the "tourist" hotels are booked solid in the summer months, especially in the denali park area.

as for hiking, there is a great trail on the ay to seward. i think its called rainbow trail..always a good hike.

not sure what akmom was referring to about a couple of tourists coming up missing every year. there is some pick pocketing that goes on, and some people do get lost on the more complex hiking trails, but certainly not "a few tourists" every year that go missing due to foul play. but, as with anywhere, you should be careful.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: solo traveler

Thanks for all the advice---booking hotels and the Kenai Fjords tour was certainly challenging. Things really do fill up quickly!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: solo traveler

I'm not trying to scare anyone but I think a woman traveling alone should be aware and carry some protection Here is an article off the web just to clarify where I'm coming from.

uaf.edu/seagrant/NewsMedia/03ASJ/02.28.03mis…

Each year, thousands of people are reported missing across Alaska. Thumbtacks on a map behind investigator Bill Hughes represent missing persons and remains that have been found. (Photo courtesy Associate Press.)