We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage Red Roof

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anchorage Red Roof

I am booked at the Red Roof in June. Can someone tell me if the area is safe and also if the Red Roof is clean.

Thanks

South Carolina
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Anchorage Red Roof

Sorry Oorsuthi, we took your post and quit talking about your question. Hopefully though by reading these you have some great ideas about what you should try to fit in while you are there. Alaskaman, another question, big surprise, right, what about the Alaska Wildlife Center near Portage Glacier. We thought we would go there, apparently they take in injured animals and try to re-introduce them into the wild if possible. I thought it would be good to support this cause? Also, we are taking all day cruise in Seward and half day in Whittier, should we do the hour cruise to Portage Glacier? I thought we would, why not, but maybe that hour could be spent better elsewhere. So after all your help, we would love to buy you a drink, or dinner/drinks when we are there. It would be nice to chat with you in person. I think it is great that you care so much about your state, which is obvious in your posts, but also that you try to help visitors to make the most of their trip. Okay, don't abandon me now, I think I am pretty much done with questions!! I say that now and watch, tomorrow I will post another!! Anyway, I have never looked forward to a vacation as much as this one. Oh yeah, thought of another!!! Is there much chance of seeing the Northern Lights the end of May? I understand there is only about 6 hours or so of darkness, is that enough? Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Anchorage Red Roof

Thanks for the complimentary remarks but they are undeserved. There are many more Alaskans who know more than I but I love it here. The Alaska Wildlife Center is nice. Kind of like a wild animal park or zoo in the states with Alaskan land mammals and I think they have some eagles. They indeed rescue animals such as moose and bears. If a mother moose is killed, often they take in her calf/calves and same goes for bears. The Alaska zoo in Anchorage does this as well. Both are fine. Nice gesture on your part too. About the portage cruise? If you have done the other two, if it was me I think I would just go to Portage glacier and visit the visitors center and call it good. You���ll be just as close to glaciers on the other two but it is a beautiful spot and interesting but the visitor center should suffice. Your last question was about the Northern Lights. By the end of May it essentially daylight 24 hours. Yes the sun may dip below the horizon but you could pretty much read a book outside all night because its dusk. I suppose on a rare occasion if it was an unusually active aurora it is physically possible but highly unlikely. The best auroras are in Dec/Jan when it is really cold and clear and you���re out of the view of any lights. Lastly, I am honored you���d invite me for dinner/drinks and I���d love to ablige you but unfortunately I will be out of state at that time. Have a wonderful trip!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
South Carolina
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Anchorage Red Roof

Okay then I guess we will skip the Portage Glacier cruise, and plan our next trip when we will be able to see the Northern Lights. Thanks again!

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Anchorage Red Roof

Sorry, I did not check the forums for a while. Thanks for all the input. The thing is we had coupons for free nights at the Red Roof and would like to use it. Unless it is a bad area, as in not safe, I guess we might stay there. Let me know if that is the case. If it's not safe I certainly am not staying for any free coupon.

Thanks

Alaska, USA
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Anchorage Red Roof

I'm sure it is as safe as anywhere. Its just wedged in between the state highway's one way streets (couplet) and a bunch of car dealerships.

Roy, Washington
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Anchorage Red Roof

Hey Chevron!

We too got the military rate at Hawthorn! We'll be there May 20th! When will you be there?

We also got Marriott's Fairfield Inn and Suites for $89/night. We'll be there on May 15th!

For anyone interested if you didn't get a great rate, you can buy the Alaskan Tous Saver. They have buy one/get one free on several hotels, including Hawthorn!

South Carolina
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Anchorage Red Roof

MULLIE,

We will be there May 26 and June 1. We got some good info from these posts, right? Glad to know that we can walk to a lot of places. This is going to be great!

Roy, Washington
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Anchorage Red Roof

Chevron!

I concur :) Great place for info. Some folks ask questions I don't even think to ask!