We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching in early October

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching in early October

Hello all! My Gf and I are planning on being in Anchorage from October 4 to October 8th and really wanted to check out a whale watching tour. Does anyone know if the first week of October is still a good time to see some whales?

Alternatively, would it be best to go to Juneau for whales instead of Anchorage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching in early October

I think you'll be a little late for whales... Major Marine still offers a short Kenai Fjords cruise that late: https:/…

You might call them and ask about the chances of seeing whales.

In Juneau, Harv & Marv stop their tours October 1st: www.harvandmarvs.com/alaska-whale-watching

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching in early October

While you *might* see a humpback in either place (a few do over-winter in Alaska), most will be on their migration south to the breeding grounds. You likely would have a better chance of coming across Orcas, especially on a tour out of Whittier (1 hr. south of Anchorage), since there are resident pods in that area. If interested, contact Lazy Otter Charters and discuss the matter. The scenery there is beautiful, and they can include some time near a glacier waiting for calving, so even if you don't find whales it will be an enjoyable outing.

3. Re: Whale Watching in early October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 20, 2018