We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport

Hello. I'm in Anchorage for 1 day (7 am to 7 pm) at the end of Sept. following a few days immersed in nature on Kodiak. I'm taking a red-eye flight out that night and plan to stash my luggage at the hotel downtown where I'm staying the night before so I can meander around the city unencumbered for the day. No rental car. What would you recommend a tourist on foot do to fill the hours? Bus/trolley tour? Museum? Any place to purchase crafts, jewelry, other iconic goods produced in Anchorage/Alaska to bring home as gifts? Best places to grab brunch, lunch, early dinner or while away a few hours reviewing my photos from Kodiak or catching up on reading? Thanks for any and all tips.

Mentioned in this post
14 replies to this topic
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport

I would recommend breakfast at Snow City Cafe and then a visit to The Anchorage Museum. If it is a nice day you could do a short walk on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Kaladi Brothers on 6th Ave is a great place to hang and surf the internet and grab a cup of coffee.

There are plenty of shops n the downtown area to visit. Check out 4th avenue area. You will find Native made gifts in the museum store as well as a few small shops in the area. The Oomingmak Musk Ox Coop is also a great place to check out.

Mentioned in this post
Snow City Cafe
Snow City Cafe
2,492 Reviews
Anchorage, AK
Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center
Anchorage Museum at...
2,271 Reviews
Anchorage, AK
Tony Knowles Coastal Trail
Tony Knowles Coastal...
1,594 Reviews
Anchorage, AK
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport

Super helpful! Thanks much!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
482 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport

Spacefry gave some very good suggestions.

In addition

Instead of touristy souvenir stuff, for something different take back some packaged reindeer sausage.They can be bought at either Fred Meyer or Carrs.

For a local lunch experience- If the hot dog vendors are still out on 4th avenue, get either a bratwurst, Reindeer Sausage or Texas Link Hot dog.along with a soda and a package of chips then find a seat and watch the world go by.

For an early dinner try Fletcher's -it's one the ground floor of the Captain Cook Hotel.

Edited: 10:23 pm, September 17, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,241 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport

Is there some reason you don't want to rent a car for the day? You could do the very scenic drive 1 hr. south to Wildlife Conservation Center, or else drive 2 hrs. NE for an easy guided hike on Matanuska Glacier. If you prefer not to drive, you can do either of those tours using Salmonberry Tours.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
Alaska Wildlife...
2,686 Reviews
Girdwood, AK
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport

I appreciate your gentle cajoling. I will at least look into the tour company you recommended.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport

Great additional tips and suggestions; many thanks.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,471 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport

Anchorage can be a nice tourist visit, especially for your situation.

Driving/tour in and around Anchorage is not difficult.

Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport

I'd get a car for the day, drive down the Turnagain Arm to the AWCC, then to Girdwood for a short hike and lunch, then back to Anchorage downtown for the shopping & museum vist.

Mentioned in this post
Girdwood
Girdwood
Anchorage, AK
Anchorage Downtown Hotel
Anchorage Downtown Hotel
205 Reviews
Anchorage, AK
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport

HI Christine,

- a little more coaxing....

If you've a philosophical issue about a car, or you don't drive, or another 'none of our business' reason; that's ok. But... a car would give you some very cool options thst IMO would really increase the 'value' of your short ANC visit.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport

Thanks much. I totally get your and others' suggestions to grab a rental car or tour and get out of the city for the day. It's just that I'll have spent 4 days in the great outdoors on Kodiak Island before this day in Anchorage. I don't think one can ever experience too much natural wonder, so I'm not opposed to the idea of a car rental or tour. But I was just thinking that by then I might be a little tired and more up for some "civilization." Also, I do want to get some unique gifts for friends and family back home and there won't be any shopping on Kodiak. Everyone on this thread has been really helpful with good ideas and given me good options to consider, and I appreciate all the feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Anchorage 1 day from morning till 7 pm departure to airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted