We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

necessary to rent a car day before cruise?

st. louis
6 posts
Save Topic
necessary to rent a car day before cruise?

we are going on alaskan cruise in june 5-12,,, 2 adult/2 kids,, want to tour downtown Sat. and leave on cruise Sun afternoon. do you think it is necessary to rent a car,,are attractrions "walking distance"?? like the Market, Needle, Music museum??

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,286 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: necessary to rent a car day before cruise?

I'm a tour guide a live in Seattle. If you stay downtown lots and lots of stuff is walking distance. I always suggest this itinerary. Start at Space Needle, either walk there or take Monorail from downtown. Take monorail or bus back to downtown 5th and pine area. Walk south to Market and look around. The market has stairs down to the waterfront where you can go to the aquarium or lots of small shops and eating. There is a waterfront streetcar that will take you to Pioneer square where you can do the underground tour, or tour the baseball or football stadium. All the downtown buses are free so at the end of the day you can take a bus back up town to where ever you are staying. Long answer but no you won't need a car especially for only one day. Look at toursofseattle.com for a good idea of tours.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: necessary to rent a car day before cruise?

No need to rent a car. Your feet will take you to the Market, Needle and Experince Music and other sights. Start out with the "Duck" tour. Get tickets across from the Experience Music thing. The Duck tour gives you a land and water look at the sights (including Tom Hank's Sleepless In Seattle houseboat) that you can later explore on your own if you wish. But its a fun way to get oriented to Seattle. The guides will keep you laughin. The Duck leaves you off at the Experience Music and Needle. After that stroll down Broad street to the waterfront trolley and hop aboard to The Pike Place Market Hill Climb. (they have an elevator too). From there head south on 1st Ave. to Pioneer Square and the underground Seattle tour. Seattle has a free downtown bus zone. A word of caution: Do not ride downtown Seattle buses after dark unless you are an NFL defensive lineman.

Level Contributor
283 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: necessary to rent a car day before cruise?

Why not get a car - I got a Hertz economy for $30 (entertainment book 15% disc.) - it would have cost 30-35 for a cab downtown & then 10 to pier.

A car seems more economical - plus I want to tour a winery - we can drive there.

Just my opinion.

Seattle
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: necessary to rent a car day before cruise?

Glad you're thinking ahead on the winery tour, but don't forget to figure in the price of parking when you're downtown. And, perhaps more importantly, the time wasted in traffic.

Luckily, most of the family attractions are easily reached by foot, waterfront streetcar or monorail. The streetcar and monorail are part of the fun.

Enjoy!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,286 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: necessary to rent a car day before cruise?

unless you can drop the car downtown with no drop charge you end up taking a cab back downtown or at the very least a cab to the cruise.

Level Contributor
283 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: necessary to rent a car day before cruise?

Hertz has a downtown drop off (no extra fee) & they reimburse you the taxi fee to the port (I called their downtown rental office & this is what they told me).