We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do locals visit Pike Place Market?

Denver,CO
Level Contributor
312 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
Do locals visit Pike Place Market?

We just got back from visiting your beautiful city. Like most tourists, we spent a lot of time in the Market. From the flowers to the produce and seafood, we were amazed at the freshness of the items. Do any of you locals shop here or do you have local markets where you can get similar fresh items?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Do locals visit Pike Place Market?

I go there from time to time when I'm downtown. I was actually just there on Saturday. I love Le Panier and Michou. There's also a great coffee shop underneath the market (Ghost Alley Espresso), and the Market Spice shop sells catnip balls at the register that our cats go nuts over.

But, I tend to stay up in my corner of Ballard. Ballard Market has really fresh produce, and we also have the best weekly farmers market around.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
6,377 posts
55 reviews
56 helpful votes
2. Re: Do locals visit Pike Place Market?

I used to get lunch there all the time but with cruise ships now bringing 900k people to Seattle, all in summer, and all go to the Market, it's impossible now. Most locals I know generally avoid the market anymore-just trying to get past the fish throwers or the original Starbucks is such a chore, and it's such a change from even just 7 or 8 years ago. We have excellent neighborhood farmer's markets, so it's easy to get fresh produce, fish, etc in our neighborhoods, and the Pike Placed Market has set up small "express" markets around downtown so that locals can buy produce without having to deal with Market crowds. The Market doesn't actually have the best variety of local farmers-there are some, but you probably noticed that it's a European style market, with many items not local and coming from wholesalers.

Edited: 1:24 pm, October 26, 2015
Seattle
Level Contributor
55,510 posts
22 reviews
64 helpful votes
3. Re: Do locals visit Pike Place Market?

My previous office job was just a couple blocks away, and I shopped there weekly, especially in the summer-time. Since I'm no longer in the area I don't go often, unless I "need" party deli items and then I go to DeLaurenti's Italian because it's so fine! :)

I get the same things from other smaller farmers markets in various neighborhoods (some of them run by Pike Place), Whole Foods, etc.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
252 posts
17 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: Do locals visit Pike Place Market?

I go there when it's not tourist season mostly. Sometimes I just want to go and get mini donuts. Sometimes it's for a special dinner party and I want the fresh bread and vegetables and fruits from the market. The only time I go in the summer is when I have out of town guests.

That's the market itself. I frequent the restaurants surrounding the market quite frequently, especially the Pink Door :-)

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
746 posts
8 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Do locals visit Pike Place Market?

If living in Mukilteo qualifies as local, then yes - we go to the market occasionally. Seafood prices aren't bad and like McTrixie, gotta have my mini donut fix.

We also like the Sunday Farmer's Market in Ballard (open all year).

Seattle
Level Contributor
55,510 posts
22 reviews
64 helpful votes
6. Re: Do locals visit Pike Place Market?

The flowers and the seafood are local. But lots of the fruit and vegetables in the main part of the market are the same commercially produced as at a grocery store. It's only in the summer-time when the real local farmers come in and set up on the street and to the north end of the market with the actual local produce. (In other words those oranges and grapes in the permanent stalls aren't growing in Seattle in the winter-time!!) suze

Washington
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
18 reviews
71 helpful votes
7. Re: Do locals visit Pike Place Market?

Yes, indeed! I love going to the market. The difference for the locals, is that we know which stands/shops truly have local produce, meats, fish, etc. for a fair price. We also have our favorite restaurants and eateries within the Market.

I used to rely on the market more, but I think the biggest difference in the last 10 years or so, is that just about every local community now has a farmer's market, and CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture) are quite accessible. I can find and shop a local farmer's market almost any day of the week, for 6-7 months of the year.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
756 posts
182 reviews
125 helpful votes
8. Re: Do locals visit Pike Place Market?

When I worked in belltown I went a lot, mostly in the off season. Now that I don't work there anymore, I rarely go. Always love it when I do.

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
136 posts
37 reviews
15 helpful votes
9. Re: Do locals visit Pike Place Market?

I think the short answer is yes, it's not just a tourist destination, it functions as a market, gift shop, meeting place and many other things for locals, and folks from the region as a whole. Long live the Pike Place Market!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
959 posts
64 reviews
63 helpful votes
10. Re: Do locals visit Pike Place Market?

Yes. I visit The Market about once a month and have done so since I was a kid. One of my first haircuts was at the barbershop "down under" and my first "job" was pricing magazines at Read All About it News on the corner of 1st and Pike as a kid.