We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria

We have a reservation on the Coho ferry from Port Angeles Monday July 21 at 12:45. I understand we must be there an hour early. How long should we allow for the drive from downtown Seattle, taking in account Monday morning traffic etc.?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria

I would allow three hours...that gives you a healthy cushion in case of traffic problems.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria

Bob is affirmed by the same answer from Kaleberg on your earlier post.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60878-i74-k734791…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
410 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria

Note, however, that the SHORTEST route takes you up to Edmunds to catch the Ferry to Kingston. Check the Ferry schedule in advance, and get updates on the ferry sailings (which can get interrupted and such). Google "Kingston Ferry" for the WSDOT Ferry schedule.

Assuming you want to be in line by 11:25 in Port Angeles, it's about an hour from Kingston to Port Angeles, so you want the ferry depositing you at Kingston at about 10:45. The ferry takes about 30 minutes, so you want to catch the 9:40 sailing (the next one is at 10:30, which may be cutting it close). Seattle to Edmonds that time of day is going to be 30 minutes to an hour, so leave downtown Seattle by 8:30am at the latest.

Your alternative is to drive south to Tacoma, across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, and up the Kitsap Peninsula. If you opt for that route, plan on 4 hours of driving (plus your hour wait in Port Angeles).

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria

I'd not take the Edmonds ferry.

If based downtown, the Seattle/Bainbridge ferry is at your doorstep and is more scenic. Also, why drive during Seattle's infamous rush hour to Edmonds, on a freeway then city streets? I much prefer driving pretty good roads from BI north.

…wa.gov/ferries/schedule/scheduledetail.aspx…

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,387 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria

Voyaging is correct. If you are based near the Edmonds Ferry dock, which you are not, you should take the Edmonds Ferry. If you are based downtown, always take the Bainbridge Island Ferry. Driving through the city of Seattle during Monday morning rush hour in order to reach the Edmonds Ferry would be a bad idea. Also, The Bainbridge Island Ferry is significantly larger, which means you are less likely to have to wait for a second sailing because the first was full. Because you have a tight deadline in Port Angeles, you should arrive early at the Bainbridge Island Ferry parking lot so that you do not miss a crossing. It's unlikely on a Monday, but it could happen. I would arrive about 45 minutes in advance. Just bring something to read.

6. Re: Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 15, 2015