We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum of Flight-drive or public transfer??

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Museum of Flight-drive or public transfer??

We will have a rental car on Saturday and are going to Woodinville for wine tasting and lunch. We plan to visit the Museum of Flight that afternoon so my question is, should we return the rental downtown and take public transportation down to Museum? Or is parking easy and readily available near Museum so we should drive from Woodinville to Museum and return car afterwards?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum of Flight-drive or public transfer??

Plenty of free parking at the MoF.

Note that if it's next weekend (July 19) you'll want to avoid Interstate 90 at all costs, as it will be reduced to one lane westbound (coming into Seattle) for a whole week. …wa.gov/News/2014/06/30_I-90ExpansionJointWB…

Backups of 10 miles or more westbound are expected. If you're visiting Woodinville and wanting to come back into Seattle, use SR 520 (Evergreen Point Bridge - toll) or travel around the north end of Lake Washington (I-405 to I-5 or SR 522) to get there. Or if you're going to the MoF, use I-405 southbound to I-5 and approach from the south. This is likely to be a "carmaggedon" in the region.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum of Flight-drive or public transfer??

Oh my! Great head's up, many thanks. It is this Saturday the 19th and we will be driving back from Woodinville to either downtown or MoF.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum of Flight-drive or public transfer??

Probably your best bet - http://goo.gl/maps/doRR8

Use HOV lanes whenever they're available.

Edited: 1:00 pm, July 12, 2014
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum of Flight-drive or public transfer??

I would take the southern route to Renton and back up instead. From Woodinville, take Wood-Red Road down to Redmond, then 148th down to I-90 where you can pick up 405 south. It is pretty easy to skip I-90 if you get directions to, say Nordstrom Rack in Factoria.

Stay off 520 in a rental. The toll situation is not pretty, with rental agencies engaging in some serious price gouging.

It is easy enough to get to Woodinville for your tour. Go north on 5, go east on 145th, then round the north end of the lake on Lake City Way. It becomes 522 , going straight to Woodinville.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum of Flight-drive or public transfer??

>> From Woodinville, take Wood-Red Road down to Redmond, then 148th down to I-90 where you can pick up 405 south. <<

That's precisely the stretch of I-90 where they're forecasting giant backups. On reflection, I'd probably go around the north end of the lake from Woodinville, even though it means driving through Seattle en route to the MoF. I expect I-405 will also be a mess as people try to divert off I-90 around the bottom of the lake.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum of Flight-drive or public transfer??

I can see your point but I'd still go the south route, skipping I-90 by going through Factoria. I-5 is often backed up from Northgate to Seattle and there aren't as many surface routes because of having to get across Lake Union.

7. Re: Museum of Flight-drive or public transfer??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 15, 2015