We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation with toddler - crazy hotel prices June 12-14

NY
Level Contributor
316 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation with toddler - crazy hotel prices June 12-14

Hi All!

We are flying into Seattle on June 7, driving to Vancouver, staying there for 3 days, then drive/ferry to Victoria, stay there for 2 days and then finally arrive into Seattle on June 12. Our flight out is at 11pm on June 14.

We have a 20 month old with us and we are there for a very short while so I was leaning towards hotel accommodations versus an apartment. We usually request a crib or cot for him, and most apartments won't have that. So I have had a really tough time finding a decent hotel room for those dates. Is there an event in the area on those dates?

Our next option is b and bs. We have stayed at b&b s before the kid but just a little wary now. Though we won't have a crib for him there as well. A king bed may work for all of us but never tried co-sleeping so a little unsure.

I tried Priceline too - 3.5 and 4 star hotel - downtown and university area - 125 - rejected. Even the holiday inns are starting at 250 a night.

Also, we will be renting a car (still have to figure that one out - where to rent from etc) so after check-out on 14th, we will hang out in the city and head to drop off the car by the airport right before the flight. May have the hotel hold on to our luggage while we stay in downtown etc.

Any other alternatives? Locations?

Any help is appreciated!

Best!

newark ohio
Level Contributor
657 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation with toddler - crazy hotel prices June 12-14

I thought the same thing as I researched out trip to Seattle. I found a few lesser priced Hotels but watch the extra fees for parking, breakfast, ect. I used Hotels.com to lock in a price while I continue to search for a better deal. We are in Seattle the same days July 14-17 and decided on picking up a car downtown vs at Seatac as the price was double! and now we wont pay parking fees. Good luck! and lets hope for lovely weather.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation with toddler - crazy hotel prices June 12-14

Have you tried the Mediterranean Inn and MarQueen up on Queen Anne Hill near the Seattle Center?

The Warwick or Roosevelt downtown?

NY
Level Contributor
316 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation with toddler - crazy hotel prices June 12-14

Karekey - Yes! I hope we have some good weather :)

Suze2you - thanks for the reco. I checked out Mediterenian Inn and it looks great and is not $300/night! However, no rooms available for friday :(

The others are 350/night and above....any idea where I can score a deal?

Any thought on B&Bs? I checked out the ones on this website and they do have mixed reviews...the ones that are still available,

Thanks again!

Looking for more advise!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation with toddler - crazy hotel prices June 12-14

Can't figure out what is going on. It may just be that we are getting into the high season. More on that below.

I saw Pensione Nichols come up for your dates (4* ranked 18/37 B&Bs on TripAdvisor) *This is on 1st Avenue in the heart of downtown and not in Madison Park as shown on the TripAdvisor map.

http://pensionenichols.com/

When you go to the Pensione Nichols website and search all rooms for two adults you get 4 rooms showing a rate of $160 and 3 more at a rate of $180. 5 rooms show max occupancy of three. So this might meet your needs. It is about as cheap as you will get I think for your dates in the heart of downtown except perhaps for something like Air BnB.

Read the reviews but not that the really negative reviews are all from more a year ago or more. Still you should go in with your eyes open. This is an old building and noise is a concern in a small older building in the heart of downtown. A few other notes and provisos. It is a walkup. No elevator. They can do a baby crib for $15 per an option on their booking engine. They have a continental breakfast per the booking engine for the rates provided but few if any hotel type amenities and no TVs. BR are shared. They ask to add an estimated arrival time although you can check in at all times of the day and they provide a door code. Perhaps the most significantly, the cancellation policy requires advance cancellation of 7 days in writing (by email).

This is from their online booking engine.

"We have a 7 day cancellation policy after which we charge for the first night of the reservation. All cancellations MUST be made in writing via email."

Here are some other options on Kayak (all rates plus tax)

The Mediterranean Inn for $194 (4* ranked 54 on TripAdvisor)

Travelodge Space Needle for $150 (3*, ranked 67)

Quality Inn and Suites Seattle Center for $190 (3* ranked 66)

Inn at Queen Anne for $199 (3.5* ranked 70)

Inn of Twin Gables for $180 (4* ranked 23/37 B&Bs) *note this is in Interbay on north Queen Anne near Ballard.

*Note - I searched for rooms for two since you said you usually get a crib or cot. Searching for 3 person rooms will markedly reduce the available options .

Here is what is on at the Convention Center for June 12-14.

6/11 - 6/12 WSCPA: 2014 Annual Meeting/Leadership Conference (250)

6/11 - 6/13 AHIP - Institute 2014 (2500)

6/12 Allied Professional Networking Event (200)

That could put a dent in the hotel room supply but shouldn't itself explain the rates. That seems high but June is in cruise ship season and is shoulder or peak.

You're actually going to miss a couple of the big events like the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure (June 1 I think - 9-10,000 participants) and Rock and Roll Marathon (20,000+ participants) and Fremont Fair and Solstice Parade (100,000 plus). It is unclear how many people travel in for these events but they are the biggies.

The Washington Brewer's Festival is going on during your stay (6-13 and 14) but it is in Redmond. Unclear how many people will be in Seattle.

Here is the cruise ship schedule:

portseattle.org/Cruise/Documents/2014_Cruise…

Jun 13

Rhapsody Of The Seas

Celebrity Solstice

Jun 14

Golden Princess

Westerdam

Norwegian Jewel

None of these is designated as a port of call where people would be sleeping on the boat.

And there is at least one ship in port on the 10th with three in port on the 15th. So some of those people may be staying in the city during your days.

Hope that helps

-K

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation with toddler - crazy hotel prices June 12-14

Kayak is showing rooms available for both nights for the Mediterranean.

I shortened the 400+ character URL for the Kayak booking page with a tinyurl ...

http://tinyurl.com/k6bxfb3

You can look at the preview first which shows the URL that the tinyurl directs to.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/k6bxfb3

Here is the info from Kayak.

Mediterranean Inn

Thu, Jun 12 – Sat, Jun 14 2014 (2 nights) – 1 room, 2 adults change

Details Map Reviews

Select a Room No booking or credit card fees

"One double bed with Kitchenette;

40% Off!

$194.40

Avg Nightly*

$37.12 taxes/fees

Free Cancellation

Cancellation policy

full description

A beautifully appointed guest room with one full bed, kitchenette, and work desk. Includes flatscreen TV with three HBOs, in room safes, irons and full sized ironing boards, granite countertop, alarm clock, hairdryer, and more."

Seattle
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation with toddler - crazy hotel prices June 12-14

The cruise ships in Seattle typically start/stop their voyages on the weekends, so that is when in the summer that demand for hotel rooms is often the highest. Are you able to adjust your dates? Staying in Seattle from June 12-14 is getting to that weekend time.

A quick look on Orbitz showed rates in some Seattle hotels from June 10-12 (Tues - Thursdays) around $200, considerably lower than for June 12-14.

Also, since you will have a car, I'd suggest that you consider searching for hotels outside the downtown Seattle core and University District. Downtown Bellevue is around 20 minutes from downtown Seattle at off-peak traffic, and is very clean, safe and upscale. Some hotels were around $200 in Bellevue for June 12-14. Hotels in SeaTac and Tukwila would also be less than in downtown Seattle.

NY
Level Contributor
316 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation with toddler - crazy hotel prices June 12-14

Thank you so much!!! My husband booked a B&B at Chittenden House before I could even share the awesome feedback on this forum. He also left a message for them since we had questions on the bed, crib, etc. Its a placeholder, we have upto 7 days before the date to cancel it. Meanwhile, I am continuing my search and if we find something better, we may cancel. Though, we have enjoyed every B&B stay we have ever had (before our kid). If you have any feedback on this B&B, please let me know.

Is Bellevue only 20 minutes from downtown? I heard it was 30+ minutes, but wasnt 100%. Could someone please let me know. I am trying not to spend 200 per night (without taxes) on the room, if possible.

Also, the mystery seems to have been solved - its graduation weekend for the Univ of Washington. Unfortunately, we have already booked our victoria and vancouver hotels so cant juggle them around and we are stuck with these dates!

Thanks again!

NY
Level Contributor
316 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation with toddler - crazy hotel prices June 12-14

Also, is west Seattle a safe neighborhood with options for food with our toddler? We are vegetarian.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,229 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation with toddler - crazy hotel prices June 12-14

did you try

hotelcoupons.com

they have Holiday Inn and some other lesser properties in the downtown area.

Seattle
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation with toddler - crazy hotel prices June 12-14

Yes, downtown Bellevue to downtown Seattle is about 20 minutes in light traffic. But during peak times, like 4 PM on a weekday, traffic times can be much higher. You can check maps.google.com for estimated travel times.

What is your budget for a hotel? It looks like rates for Coast Bellevue Hotel, Hyatt House Bellevue, and LaQuinta in Kirkland, are about $125-$150 for June 12-14.