We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

portland to seattle car rental

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
portland to seattle car rental

Hello all! Planning to fly into Portland and out of Seattle. We are planning on renting a car and noticing the prices are very high because of the one way fee. Is there one particular company who is more lax with the fees/dropoff?

Thank you!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,401 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: portland to seattle car rental

For US residents, not that I know of. However on occasion I've had success phoning the renting office (not the toll-free number nor online) and asking if they have any one-way cars on which they could waive the drop fee. Sort of a last-minute thing, however - depends on their inventory that day.

Note that the train between Portland and Seattle is comfortable, inexpensive, fairly scenic in parts, and doesn't take too much more time than driving. It might also save a day's rental to turn the one-way car trip into a round trip.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: portland to seattle car rental

Thanks so much obgardyloo for your help. I will call the rental companies closer to the date and hope for the best. Another fellow tirpadvisor user suggested the train. The reason we were looking into the car rental is to stop at Mt. St. Helen's on the drive up. We get in Saturday morning and leave Tuesday morning. I know it will be a rushed trip and we should just consider the train instead of the rental and stop.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: portland to seattle car rental

We saved hundreds on a 5 day rental through Enterprise. Reserved the car @ a city outlet in Portland (rather than at PDX....just hopped on public transportation, headed into the city to an Enterprise office @ 611 E Burnside). There was a $60 drop fee included in the total of $197 for 5 days, with the car then returned to the Seattle airport. That's $197 for a standard car vs the $400-500 the other companies were quoting! And BTW, we stayed the last two nights near the Seattle airport, with access to the continuously running hotel shuttle which took us to the light rail stop at the airport, which gave us access to the city, without having to pay those exorbitant Seattle parking rates. In hindsight we didn't really need the car for those last couple days. I love using public transportation when traveling!

4. Re: portland to seattle car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, May 17, 2015