We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Seattle--Natural Beauty and/or Offbeat

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips from Seattle--Natural Beauty and/or Offbeat

Hi Folks,

I'm off to Seattle again this year. I went for my first time a few years ago and had the opportunity to visit most of the major attractions in the city. Also went to Bremerton, where my conference was being held. I was on a tight budget last time; however, I've got a per diem for this trip. I'm renting a car and would like to see some mind-blowing natural beauty (I live in Dallas and we don't get too much of that here). People warned against the natural parks--since the trip is at the end of this month (February). Any recommendations?

I'm really into food and would love to visit a farm, salmon hatchery, etc.

I'm a vegetarian, so any restaurant recommendations would be great ( I already booked a reservation at Sutra--is it worth it?)

I'm staying near Olive and 8th. Where should I park? I remember seeing meters...

I'm really into theater. I saw an amazing production at the New City Theatre. Any recommendations?

Responses to any of these questions would be great! Thanks in advance!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day Trips from Seattle--Natural Beauty and/or Offbeat

Just out of curiosity how long do you have? What are your dates here?

Kalberg's recommendation is a great one. Although the Olympic Penninsula has some areas of extremely heavy rain the Sequim/Port Angeles area gets much drier weather.

You could also head over into Olympic National Part's coastal unit from the Sequim area. There are so many options depending on how far you want to go and how long you want to spend over there.

One area that is a big attraction inland from the Central part of the coast is the Hoh Rainforest. It is up a long valley road so it takes some driving time to get there and back. I have never been there in the winter but if you have rain gear you will get the full experience. At the north end of 101 and West on 110 near La Push is Rialto beach. It is a beautiful quintessential Pacific NW beach with driftwood and sea stacks. It is only 85 miles from Sequim but that is almost a 2 hour drive. From Sequim seeing the Hoh and backtracking to Rialto before heading back to the hotel is going to be a full day.

Another alternative would be to drive from Sequim to the Makah reservation. They have a cultural center and fish hatchery but I was primarily thinking about Shi Shi beach, one of the most spectacular pieces of coast in the United States or Cape Flattery --the NW corner of the Continental U.S.

http://www.hobuckbeachresort.com/shishi.html

http://www.hobuckbeachresort.com/tatoosh.html

nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/shi-shi-beach-oly…

Deception Pass at the north end of Whidbey Island is also very beautiful. I have posted before about Whidbey Island. You can drive around the north end and head back that way or do a loop taking the Mukilteo ferry one way (either to or from). There are some great small towns on Whidbey like Langley and Coupeville.

Some theater listings in the next week (depending on your actual dates):

www.seattlerep.org/Plays/1314/VF/Synopsis

book-it.org/mainstageseason/frankenstein/

acttheatre.org/Tickets/…

acttheatre.org/Tickets/…

acttheatre.org/Tickets/…LittleShopofHorrors

https:/…monty-pythons-spamalot

ontheboards.org/performances/and-lose-name-a…

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
746 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day Trips from Seattle--Natural Beauty and/or Offbeat

Whidbey Island and the Olympic Peninsula are good suggestions. Here's one that's a little off the wall, but seems to fit your interests; Olympia, the state capital.

If you haven't been there yet, give it a try. A small city (large town really) with a nice waterfront, plenty of vegetarian restaurant options, even organic beer at the Fish Tale brew pub, and the Harlequin Theatre there puts on some very good plays and musicals. There's more tattoo parlors than churches (always a good sign) and the Nisqually Basin Wildlife Preserve is nearby.

The Governor Hotel downtown or The Phoenix on the waterfront are both good places to stay.

13. Re: Day Trips from Seattle--Natural Beauty and/or Offbeat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, March 01, 2015