We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle ideas

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Seattle ideas

Right, hoping some locals will help with this!

My husband and I are heading to America & Canada for our honeymoon.

We have two days in Seattle and would love some ideas! (18th - 20th September)

We love exploring neighbour hoods, architecture and coffee shops! Would love to get ideas from locals and not be on the tourist trails!

Thanks!

Clipper Vacations
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Ferries, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Puget Sound Tours
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours, Bus Tours
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle ideas

Although not old by European standards one of the oldest districts of the city is Pioneer Square with many brick and mortar buildings. For a look at older homes visit the North end of the Capitol Hill neighborhood on 14th, 15th, 16th Avenues - many turn of the century 'mansions.' If you do make it to that area also visit the Conservatory in Volunteer Park. You may also be interested in the the design/architecture of the downtown branch of the Seattle Public Library.

For some ideas on local coffee shops to visit take a look at this trip list: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i35498-Seattle_…

September can be a beautiful time of year to visit Seattle with frequently sunny, warm days on the tail end of summer.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle ideas

Hey Sodomojo. Thanks for linking to my Triplist. That is based on a Chowhound contribution of mine.

I would add Ballard and Fremont to your list. They are North Seattle neighborhoods (N and NW). Ballard has a moderately well preserved historic district dating to the turn of the 20th C. which is old by Pacific NW standars with some characteristic low slung brick buildings. Ballard was one of the world's largest manufacturers of cedar shingles in its early years and with the building of the Ship canal and locks linking Puget Sound and Salmon Bay to Lake Union and Lake Washington Ballard developed a large maritime industry, which survives to this day. The locks are on the tourist trail but frankly the tourist stream dies down a bit after Labor Day (at the very beginning of September) and they are well worth a visit. Sometimes you can see the ships from TV's reality show The Deadliest Catch along with tugs, factory processing ships and other fishing vessels plus a wide array of yachts and sailboats passing through the locks on the way from the lakes to the Sound or vice versa.

In Ballard and Fremont you could enjoy two of the hottest dining destinations in the city (Capitol Hill always has a great great array of restaurants and downtown and Pioneer Square are also seeing a boom), walk on a quiet Puget Sound beach, visit the local Nordic Heritage Museum, maybe catch some local music in more than a half dozen well thought of live music venues and visit the currently 12 local breweries (plus one additional local brewery's stand along tap room) in the two neighborhoods (10 Ballard with two right on the border and two breweries plus the Odin taproom in Fremont). Actually you will be in town for one of the largest festivals of the year for Fremont, the Fremont Octoberfest.

In Ballard I highly recommend multiple James Beard semifinalist patisserie Cafe Besalu. They also have coffee from local roasters 7. Other great coffee options in Ballard are up and coming Anchored Ship (who recently picked up Handsome coffee), beautiful brick townhouse Fonte, Capitol Hill favorite Bauhaus (paired with a bookstore), or coffee geeks Ballard Coffee Works. Or head to East Ballard for new, hip and talented Slate Coffee. For dinner nationally recognized Walrus and the Carpenter (Renee Erickson) Staple and Fancy (Ethan Stowell), Stoneburner (Jason Stoneburner), or Brimmer and Heeltap (Mike Whisenhunt). Or if you want to go more casual try Bitterroot BBQ for its bourbon list and great BBQ or Percy's for its apothecary cocktails and modern American food. For regional Mexican La Carta de Oaxaca. For Middle Eastern Golden Beetle (Maria Hines) or Cafe Munir (Raja Gargour). Get great cocktails at Stoneburner or Bastille (Erik Carlson manages both bars), Walrus, Bitterroot, The Gerald, Percy's or The Sexton. Seattle has a great roots scene. The Tractor and Conor Byrne have reliable talent. The Sunset has a mix of roots and indie. For lunch on a weekend get brunch at Bastille (or add Bastille to your dinner list ... its French with a Pacific NW spin) or on the Ballard waterfront stop at Paseo's for a Cuban sandwich (it and its original location in upper Fremont are among the most popular sandwich shops in Seattle) or sit upstairs for a casual seafood lunch at Ray's Cafe. If it is nice put your name on the list to sit on the outside deck. Amazing views.

In Fremont try multi-roaster cafe Milstead. For dining there are so many great new choices (Revel & Joule (Seif Chirchi and Rachel Yang) Whale Wins (Renee Erickson), Agrodolce (Maria Hines), Petit Cochon (Derek Ronspies), Rock creek. Winebar Vif is getting rave reviews and I love stopping off at Dot's for a charcuterie lunch then heading next door to cook/book store Book Larder. Stop in at Theo Chocolate for a tour. See some great public art like the Fremont Bridge troll, the Lenin Statute, etc. or hit Fremont Brewing Co or Brouwer's one of the best beer bars in the Seattle (and could in my mind rank up with the best in the country).

Hope that gives you a good start.

-K

Edited: 7:48 pm, January 27, 2014
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
170 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle ideas

Since you are interested in architecture, you should know that The Seattle Architecture Foundation runs a series of 2 hour tours of different neighborhoods. The 2014 schedule is not set yet but there is a good chance that there will be a tour during your stay. http://www.seattlearchitecture.org/tours.html

Each tour is wonderful and worthwhile and I don't think you would be disappointed in any of them. They are also easy on the wallet. If available, I would suggest Pioneer Square or Queen Anne or Capitol Hill.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle ideas

As a Seattle native devoted to the food, coffee, cocktail, and brewery scene in Seattle, I heartily second every suggestion made by klsalas. Do book the chocolate tour at Theos ahead of time, they fill up quickly. We recently took my dad's best friend from England there and before we went he put up quite a fuss about American chocolate being inferior to European chocolate (true in most cases!), but was blown away by how different the chocolates at Theo tasted because they focus on a more fruit and cocoa bean-forward flavor (much like coffee) and often pair their chocolates with spice and other savory flavors.

Aside from Ballard and Fremont, you can't miss the Capitol Hill neighborhood, it's the most lively neighborhood in our city.

Suggestions in Capitol Hill

Food:

La Bete - romantic atmosphere without feeling stuffy, no strict adherence to any specific cuisine, delicious

Mamnoon - modernized Lebanese food in a swanky atmosphere

Sitka & Spruce - simple, local, delicious, in a beautiful and romantic setting

Spinasse - Italian with high quality Pacific Northwest ingredients

Cafe Presse - French bistro, although it might feel a bit Euro-pandering to you, still tasty! Great for brunch and great coffee

Ba Bar - Mid-scale full flavor Vietnamese food with an amazing cocktail program

Kadai Maikan - spice your face off Indonesian take-out food that you can take to eat in the bar nextdoor, Montana (Montana uses house-made ginger ale which is incredible and has a cult-like following)

Poppy - A Pacific Northwest spin on Indian-style thalis. Great cocktails, great happy hour deals if you don't want to spend as much.

Altura - If you want to spend some $$$ on a crazy meal do it here.

Coffee:

Victrola - best for straight espresso in my opinion

Cafe Vita - in the heart of the hill, house roasted

Vivace - chocolate-like roast on their beans, they specialize in cappuccinos, lates, and mochas, although all of their coffee is great.

Other stuff:

A walk (during the day) through Cal Anderson Park will give you a wide variety of prime people watching.

Rock Box - Japanese style private room karaoke with cocktails, beer, drinks served directly to your room.

Garage - Legit American bowling in a 21+ bar.

Elliot Bay Book Company - Best book store in the city, there's a coffee bar in the back, you can browse for hours.

Check out the website www.thestranger.com if you're into live music, they do a great job of highlighting good shows in the Seattle area.

Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle ideas

Wow! Although I am not the OP, thank you all for such wonderful details. Coming to your city in May and this info is quite helpful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle ideas

You guys are completely awesome! This is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much!

I have just booked our hotel (Ace Hotel) so will start putting an itinerary together!

I can't wait!

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle ideas

Just putting the finishing touches to our honeymoon and writing out all the exciting places you have all suggested!

Thanks so much!

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle ideas

Just putting the finishing touches to our honeymoon and writing out all the exciting places you have all suggested!

Thanks so much!

9. Re: Seattle ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 18, 2015