We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle, Olympic and portland !! help with itinerary please.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle, Olympic and portland !! help with itinerary please.

I wasn't sure what forum it was best to post in since this trip is in a few different areas.

We are flying into Seattle at 6:10 pm so late on Saturday night April 26th, and staying at the Georgetown inn Seattle.

First question is what is there to do close to this hotel ? any ideas ?

Since we most likely wont even get to the hotel until almost 7:30pm I'm looking for something close, but fun, my DH is a first timer to Seattle.

Then next morning we plan to start very early on the sunday, and do an entire day in Olympic national park, staying in port angeles at the Olympic lodge Sunday night April 27th.

What would be suggested for Olympic , what to see and do in a couple days in late April ?

We are big hikers and we're interested in seeing the mountains( if not too snowy), rainforest and the beaches.

so please suggest the must sees for our time here in Olympic.

We will also have another full day on the Monday April 28th in Olympic and staying a second night at Olympic lodge.

Then on Tuesday April 29th we plan to head out early and make our way to Cannon beach.

What is there to see on the way, any must stop places on the way from Port Angeles to Cannon beach ?

Then we'd like to hang out in that area most the day on Tuesday , I understand its about 4 1/2 hour drive , so thats why we'd start early, I'd like to make our destination to Cannon beach by noon or 1 at the latest.

What suggestions are there for cannon beach area ? I may need to get on their forum too.

We're Staying at the Haystack inn on the Tuesday night.

Then final day Wednesday April 30th the plan is Multnomah falls, not sure how long this takes to visit ? Then go to voodoo donut and then to Portland airport to fly out at 3:15 pm .

this will be both our first time to Olympic and to Oregon.

I'd appreciate any comments on this itinerary, any suggestions, or what we should add or change.

Thanks we can't wait.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,947 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Seattle, Olympic and portland !! help with itinerary please.

Cannon Beach to Multnomah Falls is about 3 hours +/-. That's assuming no accidents around Portland. You can spend anywhere from 20 minutes to all day at the falls, but if you allow 1-2 hours that will probably work well for you. You can also drive the historic highway to see other big falls and some awesome viewpoints!

Yes it's still worth it even though you can't go up to the bridge.

Expect rain in Cannon Beach area. For hiking (it's actually really 'walking') , Ecola State Park is lovely. You might be interested in Hug Point:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g51790-c151280/Cannon…

On your way to Cannon Beach, don't miss Cape Disappoinment.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Seattle, Olympic and portland !! help with itinerary please.

The only day that makes any sense is day one. You said you were hiking, and you are leaving no time for driving. Be very careful driving between the Hoh and Cannon Beach in the dark. A lot of nothing for long stretches and watch out for deer on the road at night. Driving all the way to Canon beach makes no sense IMO given you have almost no time to see anything there.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Seattle, Olympic and portland !! help with itinerary please.

Well I understand we are very limited on time . We are 30 and 31 without children , we do not have a lot of money , and love to travel and see National parks any chance we can .We take any opportunity to see beautiful places even if it's a quick look at a place and we have to move on . We were able to fly out here for $60 each way ( couldn't pass up that price ) and so far have found all hotels for under $125 night .Even though our time is short we will enjoy it and make the most of the time we have . I have been re thinking the first night and considering leaving the airport and driving to I believe it was called silverdale . Then we can get a better start on our first full day in Olympic , I understand weather this time of year could cause us issues , but we will make the most of it and be happy just to be there and be together . I know we will have to start out early to head to cannon beach . 7 am works for us , we like to start very early . We like to see and do as much as possible in the time we are given . April is the only time we can do due to our work otherwise we'd pick a slightly later month to go . We recently were able to visit Grand Canyon , antelope canyon , horseshoe bend , Zion national park , Bryce Canyon and Vegas and did all that with 5 nights . We had an amazing time . So we really appreciate all the help and advice so far . We are just excited to see another beautiful national park , and to see the Oregon for the first time even if it is just for a day : ) .

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Seattle, Olympic and portland !! help with itinerary please.

Since your interest is seeing a National Park I do not understand why you want to cut your visit to Olympic so short in order to make the long boring drive to Cannon Beach. It is your trip. If you had more time it would make more sense. why you want to spend so much time in car instead of the outdoors I do not understand. Spending a night at Lake Quinault and then heading to Portland and the Gorge would male more sense.

I live 10 miles from Silverdale. My advise would be to wait until you get here to decide where to stay your first night. You will have no problem finding a place to stay. Silverdale is kind of one giant shopping mall. Poulsbo might be a better option. I do think getting out of Seattle makes sense if you are not too tired from the flight.

Edited: 2:06 pm, January 12, 2014
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,947 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Seattle, Olympic and portland !! help with itinerary please.

>Then go to voodoo donut and then to Portland airport to fly out at 3:15 pm.<

Jade M, I forgot you mentioned Voodoo Donuts. With the caveat that I've never been, (doesn't interest me!) I do know there are long lines, meaning it may take a lot of time. On the Portland forum, I think somebody mentioned that there is another one in Beaverton that is far less busy. I'd suggest you post on the Portland forum to get more information.

I think this day may be tight on timing if you want to leave Cannon Beach, go to Multnomah Falls, then backtrack to downtown Portland (traffic) , find parking, wait in a long line, then go back out to the airport (freeway traffic) , return car, get to security.......

Something to think about!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
438 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Seattle, Olympic and portland !! help with itinerary please.

Is the drive really that boring from port Angeles to Cannon beach ? I assumed it would be beautiful drive , I live in Kentucky near mammoth cave national park , and see the same old scenery day in day out . The reason for cannon beach is we're big Goonies fans , and have always wanted to visit Oregon .

we never see the beach since we are a minimum of 8 hour drive from any beach and those are in Alabama and the Florida panhandle , not places we want to go .

I will check out lake quinnalt area for lodging .

We have already be re thinking voodoo doughnut , like you said the hassle of lines and parking and traffic , then getting back into traffic etc... Voodoo may have to be skipped .

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Seattle, Olympic and portland !! help with itinerary please.

Once you pass the Olympic beaches you cross the coastal range which has been heavily logged. Download a good map of Oregon and Washington and you will see that little of the driving is with views of the Coast. Cape Disappointment is beautiful, but will add on a little extra Driving. You will cross over the Columbia. The Oregon Coast really starts getting dramatic around Cannon Beach. I suggest you post on the Oregon Forum and see what others think.

Here is the problem. Even if you get an early start in Port Angeles you are trying to visit the dramatic Olympic Beaches, hike some of the Hoh and then drive all the way to Cannon Beach. That leaves you with almost no time in Cannon Beach and then you have drive through Portland to the Gorge. If you still insist on seeing Cannon Beach skip Multnomah Falls since you have a flight in the afternoon.

For less expensive places to stay should you decide on Quinault look at Quinault River Inn and the motel unit at Quinault Rainforest Resort. Google Quinault Rainforest for good info.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,614 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Seattle, Olympic and portland !! help with itinerary please.

Everybody thinks that drive runs along the coast. It doesn't. Parts of it are truly, depressingly, ugly. If you were expecting a beautiful drive, you will be shocked.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Seattle, Olympic and portland !! help with itinerary please.

If you have Google Earth (it's free), take an overhead look at the locations and roads you are considering...you can even "drive" your route with the cursor. Type Olympic National Park in the search slot to get started.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,947 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Seattle, Olympic and portland !! help with itinerary please.

I recently drove between the Oregon border and Aberdeen area. Some parts were quite scenic and the rest I'd call "pleasant". Can't speak for points north.

I think Astoria is a very attractive town as is the area around it. Crossing the bridge is great! Between Astoria and Cannon Beach the scenery is what I call "dull", once you leave Young's Bay. The road is straight and flat and kind of built up and, well, dull!

Cannon Beach south to Tillamook is awesome coastal scenery.

Oregon has strong laws about replanting logged areas so in this state you will see forests in various growth states, everything from tiny foot-high trees to ones towering 100' or more :-)