We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interested in moving to Seattle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Interested in moving to Seattle

My family is starting to talk about a fresh start on the west coast. We currently live in North Carolina and have about had it with the hot humid muggy weather. Our daughter is a rising 7th grader. Our schools here in Charlotte are a mess so high school prospects don't look great. We currently live in a suburban neighborhood on a lake with a 15 minute drive to the city center. We have a 3200 square foot brick house that we custom built on 1/2 acre. I know that we would likely have to give up some house but we are willing. I have a few questions:

1. How easy is it to get a job in the school system? Although I do not have my masters, I have taught middle school for almost 20 years. My husband has his masters and will likely have 18 hours on his advanced degree in administration by the time we move.

2. We really desire to live close in with more of a city setting than a surburban. What neighborhoods would you suggest in the $500s that would have a really good high school for my daughter?

3. We also are boaters. Is boating in the Seattle area reserved for the wealthy? How much would it cost us to keep a small boat or sailboat docked on one of the lakes/ waterways?

Thanks.

Anaheim, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Interested in moving to Seattle

hi, I grew up in South Carolina and moved to Los Angeles when I was 18. We lived there for 26 years. We moved last fall to Gig Harbor, WA. Gig Harbor is a very small town across the Tacoma Narrows bridge-6 miles from Tacoma and about 40 miles from Seattle. It looks much like New England and has many marinas. About 1/3 of the people here are ex-Californians.

Gig Harbor is expensive for waterview, but reasonable for properties without a view. You can get a house in a nice area without water view at around 350K-450K with about 3000 sq feet. You can get a house with a spectacular view of the sound for around $550K plus and about 3200 sq feet. In Los Angeles that would be about $1.5 million. Port Orchard and Bremerton are the next towns north. Properties there run about $150K less than Gig Harbor.

The move was the smartest thing we have ever done!! We have 4 seasons here and Spring is really spectacular!! The lilacs, azaleas, rhodadendrons, cherry trees, apple trees, etc are amazing! Where we live, it is dense forest. The air smells of Christmas and sea air!! The views of the sound and Mount Rainier are amazing.

We thought that the rain would be challenging. We loved the Fall and Winter rain! Actually, the rain is normally around an average of 38 inches annually. We had that amount of rain last year in California in about 2 months - not 12 months. It is also about the same or less amount of rain that we had in South Carolina in a year before the drought of the Southeast. The climate is much cooler in the summer and not as cold as you would think in the winter. We probably had about 4 nights in the winter that were below 30. Usually in the winter the lows are around 40 with a high of around 45-50.

The class size for the schools are much smaller than most states. So there are more teachers needed here.

We do not have a boat, so I'm not sure of the cost for a slip. About 25% of people here in Gig Harbor have boats though. Many are able to pick up a boat at one of the local winter auctions for very modest costs.

Sometimes, you have to take a risk to find a lifestyle that you really never thought was possible. Best wishes to you and your family!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
338 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Interested in moving to Seattle

Oh you crazy Californians, thinking we have four seasons here in Seattle. ;-)

It really isn't the rain that gets to people (as several have said, many other cities get more rain). It's the darkness/dreariness of the winter when sunrise is at 8:00 and sunset at 4:30. You go to work in the dark, you come home in the dark, and there's no snow on the ground to provide any reflective light. For people who are prone to seasonal affective disorder, it can be pretty debilitating. If you're not, then it's fine. Many people take some kind of sun-break vacation along about February (southern California, Mexico, Hawaii) and there is the occasional few days or week of absolutely gorgeous clear skies scattered through winter.

I always tell spring/summer visitors that decide they want to move here, "that's great...but come back for a visit in January and maintain your normal (not vacation) schedule and see how you feel."

Anaheim, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Interested in moving to Seattle

SeattleRedBear,

That's odd........none of our neighbors or friends here went to California, Hawaii or Mexico.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Interested in moving to Seattle

Count me as a happy Seattleite who most definitely goes to Mexico or Hawaii at least once every winter.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Interested in moving to Seattle

Here in the South, we are prone to get lots more inches of rain in ONE afternoon or evening. The amount of rain you guys get to equal us may take DAYS of of clouds and rain. That is where the difference comes in from the DAILY sunshine and the rain reports from the South and West. Hey, I am have no argument that Seattle is beautiful, but it has it cons just like every city. YOU can only make your happiness wherever you are . When you get into the city "culture, art, etc etc", be prepared to deal with all the tourism too. But to each their own.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Interested in moving to Seattle

As a local, living on Capitol Hill, even working downtown near The Pike Place Market, tourism rarely touches my life at all. I'm not sure what the poster above would be referring to.

17. Re: Interested in moving to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:56 pm, July 24, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Interested in moving to Seattle

I figured I would get bashed for that post. Sorry I offended you guys.

I am only a one time visitor to Seattle. I am certainly no expert, only

a person with an opinion on a travel forum after a visit.. I think your city is great. Being from the South, I was only pointing out some positive things about the South to the original poster to maybe think about before picking up and moving a family. The tourism remark only meant living in a big city with so many visitors in and out. And that is what "to each their own" meant. Nothing bad. I very much agree with the one person, Alabama is very lacking in very many areas. But there are a lot of good things too just as I feel there are pro's and cons about anywhere. Hey after all, 3 American Idols have been from here. LOL LOL

Level Contributor
3,053 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
19. Re: Interested in moving to Seattle

We're sorry, but this topic has wandered into non-travel-related subject

matter, so we've closed it to any further posts. To continue this

discussion, TripAdvisor invites you to use our Off-Topic Chatter forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i9659-Off_topic…

Please note that Off-Topic Chatter is a forum for discussions gone

afield from the topic of travel. The Off-Topic Chatters forum is

un-moderated -- the forum Posting Guidelines are not enforced, with

the exception of hate speech, unauthorized re-prints of copyrighted text,

and messages that promote or encourage illegal activities. Each user

is expected to take responsibility for his or her own conduct.