We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hr layover

Hangzhou, China
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
4 hr layover

I have a 4 hour layover in Seattle, I want to see the Space Needle is this possible? And what else could I do?

seattle
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hr layover

Assuming you mean a 4 hour layover after arriving at Seatac you do not have enough time to go to the Space Needle, especially if you are arriving from China and have to go through Customs/Border Patrol on entry. Just relax in the airport which has many shops, restaurants and incidentally a fine art collection. I wish the latter was more heavily publicized.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,161 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hr layover

agree, you won't have time for much. At the airport is a food court with shops called Pacific Marketplace. Its a good spot to find something to eat. After going thru customs and immigration you won't have all that much time to kill. The train into downtown takes almost 40 minutes each way plus wait time and its a 10 minute walk from the terminal. After you got downtown you'd still have to get to the Space Needle and be back a minimum of 60-90 minutes before your flight to go back thru security.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hr layover

4 hours, assuming flights are on-time and there are no other delays, is not enough time to leave the airport and sight-see. Generally we recommend to arrive at the airport between 1.5/2 hours prior to a domestic flight.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hr layover

SeaTac isn't all that close to downtown Seattle. http://goo.gl/maps/jywSH

There can be a line to take the elevator up the Space Needle. 4 hours not enough. Not a bad airport in which to kill time. You could conceivably get a view of downtown and surrounding areas, and/or maybe Mt. Rainier, from your arriving or departing flight.

Edited: 7:06 am, December 21, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 hr layover

I also do not think that 4 hours is enough time to leave the airport to sight see. Customs, immigration & clearing security will eat up too much of your time. Instead I would get a bite to eat, do a little shopping, enjoy the free WiFi, etc. instead. http://seatacshops.com/

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,555 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 hr layover

Do you mean 4 hours total time between flights? If so, that is not enough time. Even if you went by taxi both ways it's about 25-30 mins. drive (depending on traffic) each way. Plus assume you need to check in for an ongoing flight at least 90 mins. prior to that.

You'll need to stay at SeaTac (airport). Good news is that it's a GREAT airport these days. Lots of good options for places to eat (in the airy food court dome), good shopping including local made-in-Washington stores, art exhibits, massage, nail salon, etc. etc.

suze

Actually if you did hire a round trip taxi (would be about $100 + tip)... I guess it would be possible to simple drive into the city, look at the Space Needle, and turn around and go back.

Edited: 1:46 pm, December 23, 2013
7. Re: 4 hr layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 25, 2014