We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight near Interstate 5

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight near Interstate 5

I am flying from the UK, via AMS, into Seattle early March, arriving lunchtime. Two CA friends of mine are driving N from Sacramento that day, and we are heading to Revelstoke, BC, for a ski holiday. Their 'instructions' to me are to find accommodation, as close as possible, to I5, where they will pick me up early the following morning.

Bearing in mind I shall have a large case containing my ski clothes, boots etc, I need to use public transport to get to my overnight stop, or a not too expensive cab. Unfortunately, after a long flight and an 8 hour time difference, sightseeing in Seattle will be out of the question. Any suggestions please on my best course of action, or advice as to where to stay near I5 so as not to inconvenience my friends who have a long drive both days. My budget is fairly tight, but not sleeping on a bench tight! Thanks.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Overnight near Interstate 5

Its one of the older one's....I have driven it many times when visiting my friends, and am aware of the restricted room in the back! It is running on a set of winter wheels & tyres, and is fully equipped with jump leads, heavy duty tow ropes, flares etc as my CA friends love to get first tracks and drive in conditions where in the UK we would struggle to walk to the pub!

Hopefully my ski legs will get a workout in France next month.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,630 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Overnight near Interstate 5

Sounds like your friends are well prepared, which is good! We often get tourists who have never driven in snow asking about driving between ski resorts in BC, so we are often cautious about advising them, but it does sound like your friends know what they are about.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Overnight near Interstate 5

Oh yes. Well prepared is an understatement. ! electric blankets from power points, spare batteries, stove, dehydrated food.etc etc.

We had a long winter weekend in Yosemite a few years ago and pulled several 'tourists' out of ditches, up hills etc.

After Revelstoke we head South ish, finishing our road trip at Mt Batchelor in Oregon. No idea which ski resorts we shall find in between. Its all new to me but recommendations gratefully accepted.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Overnight near Interstate 5

Update

My friends are going to overnight in Portland. Picking me up at my hotel mid morning the following day after the morning rush hour is over, then stay in Kamloops the second night.

I have a 3am (local time) start for my flight from Leeds to Amsterdam, so will be tired by the time I clear immigration, get my bags etc in Seattle around 13;00 local time. A shame I shall have no time for sightseeing, maybe a 2 hour walk in the morning before my chauffeur arrives! I may use Priceline to bid on a hotel, or not wanting to risk being too far from I5, book a specific 3* near SeaTac.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,666 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Overnight near Interstate 5

Hotwire will generate the same type of hotel without the bidding. Priceline started 'instant deals' wihich don't involve bidding. Don't go too cheap at Seatac hotels cause the cheapies really are notell motels if you catch my drift.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Overnight near Interstate 5

Thank you davidgmg.

I had never heard of Hotwire before

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,630 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Overnight near Interstate 5

A stop in Kamloops sounds about right. Not much of a place really, but it won't matter much to you as its just a straight drive. It has what you need.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
296 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Overnight near Interstate 5

A friend of mine advised me that as a UK citizen, arriving in the US, then crossing into Canada the next day, I need some 'documentation' to present at the Canadian border. As a normal short term tourist, I think he is incorrect.

Can anyone advise please?

19. Re: Overnight near Interstate 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 06, 2015