We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day auto cruise around seattle

Cleveland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
One day auto cruise around seattle

Hello,

Looking for suggestions for a one day car sightseeing trip around Seattle.

We will be in Seattle for a few days at Thanksgiving and we would like to take a 1 day sightseeing tour around the Seattle area. We will be spending the rest of the time in downtown Seattle so this trip would be to venture out a bit to get a flavor and scenery of the area. One thought that I had was to take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island. Is it worth driving to Olympic park?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Seattle Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Road Dog Tours - Seattle Distillery Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Distillery Tours
Escapades Northwest
Day Trips, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day auto cruise around seattle

we are in Seattle at the same time and have reserved SHOW ME SEATTLE. looks like a complete tour of the city. they have hotel p/u...3hr

Edited: 12:34 pm, November 21, 2013
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,888 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day auto cruise around seattle

there is a list of sample itineraries in the link I'm attaching

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c112037/Seattl…

Olympic Park is much much too far for a day trip especially with our short daylight hrs this time of yr. The ferries are likely to be quite busy so I'm suggesting doing a loop towards Anacortes stopping in La Conner first, then over Deception Pass. Heading onto Whidbey Island stop in Coupeville and work your way to the the town of Langley. Then take the ferry back towards Mukilteo and come back to Seattle. Start early and you'll enjoy the trip. I think this is what your looking for.

Mentioned in this post
La Conner
La Conner
Washington
Mukilteo
Mukilteo
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One day auto cruise around seattle

http://goo.gl/maps/8hvCi

This is a great intro to the Puget Sound country.

Start by driving to Mukilteo via the Boeing Freeway, past the Boeing widebody plant, biggest building in the world. Then take the ferry from Mukilteo to Whidbey Island, visiting the cute waterfront town of Langley. Continue up Whidbey to Deception Pass, the wonderful gap between Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands where the current at tide change roars through the narrow gap. (See it from the bridges and from the beaches.)

Return back down Whidbey to the Port Townsend ferry and visit that lovely Victorian seaport, then back to Seattle via the Hood Canal floating bridge and the Bainbridge-Seattle ferry, magic at sunset. http://gardyloo.us/20091226_71c2.JPG

Should you need to shorten this trip (which I wouldn't recommend, but just in case) you could simply carry on SR20 past Deception Pass to I-5 then return to Seattle (around an hour) or you could skip Deception Pass and just go to the Port Townsend ferry right after Langley. Either would be a pity, though.

Remember daylight is short, so start early if possible.

Ferry schedules - http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Mentioned in this post
Mukilteo
Mukilteo
Washington
Port Townsend
Port Townsend
Washington
Cleveland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day auto cruise around seattle

Wow Excellent suggestions, exactly what we are looking for. Thanks so much......

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,734 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day auto cruise around seattle

Whidbey and Deception Pass would be my suggestion. I must say if the weather stays clear like today I would not rule out a little of Olympic if you know what you are getting yourself into and get an early start.I go to the Northern and Eastern part of the Park all the time. I do live in Poulsbo so I do not have to deal with the ferry. If you want a full day you could drive along beautiful Lake Crescent to its end and drive up the Sol Duc River Road 12 miles to its end and walk through gorgeous old growth forest to dramatic Sol Duc Falls. If you are tempted write back and we can give further advise. Kaleberg may pipe in and tell you road conditions to Hurricane Ridge. Today would be spectacular! It will be a long day, but it can be done if you not add on anything else and get an early start. If the weather stays like this I know I would consider it. I am spending my holiday in the Park.

Mentioned in this post
Poulsbo
Poulsbo
Washington
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,424 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One day auto cruise around seattle

My recommendation is that you save ONP for a future trip when you can allocate at least three days to exploring its wonders. One day is hardly worth the trip.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day auto cruise around seattle

I have to agree with Bobmrg. It's getting dark around 4:30 pm now, and it takes well over 3 hours to get to even the eastern shore of Lake Crescent from Seattle. We also have a lot of frost on the roads, and black ice is a real possibility on 101 just east of Lake Crescent. I don't recommend driving for long periods after dark at this time of year. In addition, the park has been closing the Hurricane Ridge road lately, at least on weekdays. It was closed today, for example, ostensibly because they are repairing the tunnels. As an aside, the park has now instituted its winter rules that require that drivers on Hurricane Ridge Road carry chains in their cars. ONP can be wonderful in the winter, and we have been having a unusually sunny November, but this is just the wrong time of year for a day trip.

8. Re: One day auto cruise around seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 23, 2014