We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 13 days...long

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
129 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 13 days...long

I have a journal on my iPad, and this is an excerpt. I'll post on Vancouver and Seattle forum. The trip went from Seattle to Victoria to Vancouver to Whistler to Vancouver to Seattle.

My wife and I are in our 50's

Monday-September 16, 2013

Almost 4 hr direct flight to Sea-Tac went smooth. Light rail downtown, walked over to trolley, took that to the Marriott Residence Inn. Very smooth all the way around. Room wasn't ready so we walked around the harbor and booked our Kenmore Air float plane for tomorrow. All 8:00 flights were already sold out. Booked the noon. Walked around, had chowder and a beverage at Dukes then walked up to REI. Had hotel salad and soup for dinner.

Tuesday-September 17, 2013

We had breakfast in the lobby and had time to kill, so we walked the pier and looked at boats. Saw a kayak field trip!

Walked over to Kenmore Air and weighed in. No Problem! They weighed our suitcases (25.3 for Paula and 24.6 for me) our backpacks/bags were another 7 lbs. no problem, no mention of being over, no extra pay. There were 5 of us total going over...pretty darn cool.

We went to the 7-11 (ScotiaBank for us Bank of America people) for Canadian cash ATM then up to the Marriott. They didn't have our reservation, said it was cancelled. I had the conf. # and the conf. email with all the info. They got us into a room no problem. We went out sightseeing and looking for lunch and a beverage.

Got an email from Prince of Whales, our whale adventure was cancelled, boat problems, so I did some Internet research then went to the concierge and booked another thru BC. We went to the concierge lounge for some snacks...awesome view, then out to look around some more. Beverage at the Flying Otter Grill, then back for more concierge snacks/dessert.

Wednesday-September 18, 2013

Up at 7:30 and some breakfast in the concierge lounge...what a view. Awesome whale watching thru BC. Don't worry about catching the perfect picture...enjoy the moment. Lunch at a place on the hill across the wharf, an outside table in the sun. Fish and chips and a beer. We went thru Chinatown and up to the shopping center. Back to calm down at the Marriott. Walked over to Fisherman's Wharf, a disappointment, nothing except floating houses.

Thursday-September 19, 2013

We went downtown to look at a bead shop. Killed some time and checked out after noon. Walked down to the bus station and on a PCL tour bus headed to Butchart Gardens. Nice little tour, they gave us 2+ hrs. and that was plenty. The bus down to the ferry then switched busses. Pretty crowded bus onto the ferry. Nice big boat, 1/2 way in we went up a deck and outside...beautiful. Bus to our hotel...eventually.

Friday-September 20, 2013

Breakfast in the concierge lounge. We checked out and headed to the train station via light rail. Picked up our car at the train station and headed up to Whistler (the Hertz rate was more than 1/2 if we would have booked at the hotel). Great stops along the way to check out the sites. Horseshoe Bay, Shannon Springs, Alice Lake, Brandywine falls. We got to our place around 3:00 and went looking for something to eat. Grabbed a burger on a patio the sun.

Saturday-September 21, 2013

Cloudy and rainy. The rain let up and we decided to go on up. Up to the peak to peak, over and some more rain. We stopped at the top of Blackcomb then headed back to Whistler peak. The other lift up to the top was a chair lift and it was raining. We decided to go back down and grab dinner at the Irish pub. Back to chill, then out for a walk over to Blackcomb village area.

Sunday-September 22, 2013

Loaded up and headed to Vancouver...rain all the way, pretty strong in Lighthouse Park. We walked a trail but it was just wet and cloudy/misting/raining. Decided not to push it, you have plans, but this is weather. Got back to the Marriott...awesome check in experience. They gave us an awesome room, high floor, view of the harbour. I parked the car, we chilled then went to lunch/dinner downtown pub. Back to watch Emmys and football.

Monday-September 23, 2013

Marriott rocks! Rainy morning so Paula wanted to see Deep Cove, so this was a perfect place since we have a car. (Grousse Mtn. was on the plans but just too cloudy/rainy) Nice trail and bay in Deep Cove. We drove toward Granville Island and the sun started coming out. Paula called an audible and we returned the car at the train station, took the SkyTrain back to the hotel, walked down and rented some bikes. Rode the sea wall and Stanley Park. Back for a lunch and a beverage at Tap and Barrel. Great afternoon.

Tuesday-September 24, 2013

We had our concierge breakfast then we walked to Gastown, shopped some then walked to Granville Island. Shopped along the way, but still a long walk. We took the aqua bus to the island and shopped around. Granville island brewing co. then the aqua bus to The Village. Walked to the light rail and back to Burrard, walk to the hotel and switch to biking clothes. Biked Stanley Park again for an hour. Had a beer at Tap and Barrel.

Wednesday-September 25, 2013

Up at 4:50am! Taxi to the train station. Checked in and the first on the train. Nice Amtrak down, nice to be back in the states. 4 hour ride wasn't that bad. We walked to the hotel...less than 2 miles but felt like more. The room wasn't ready so we walked up the Pike Market, shopped and had some lunch. Still no room so we went to the Gum wall and Aquarium. I hit the wall but it was nice to knock out all the sites. Back to the hotel...great room...Paula did some laundry, we snacked at the concierge lounge and headed to the Royals game. Walked to light rail and down to the park. We got spanked but great seats and nice to see a new ballpark. Looking back...too much for getting up at 5:00am, had to fight thru. Took a taxi back to the hotel and went down a road that had a dead body in it. Found out later it was a motorcycle that fell from the viaduct.

Thursday-September 26, 2013

Waiting for the fog to lift. Walked over to the Chihuly Glass then Space Needle...had to set a time for the needle and wasn't sure about when the sun would come out. Nice leisurely tour thru the glass museum then over to the Space Needle. Nice visit on top, warm and sunny, craft beer and chowder. We took our time and soaked up the view. Down the needle and over to the monorail. Ride down to Westlake and walked to the Pike Market. We picked up some king crab and dungeness crab already to eat. We walked around some more, then the concierge lounge and sunset pictures.

Friday-September 27, 2013

Wet outside. We headed out around 10:00. Started at the Army Navy surplus then up to Westlake Center to shop for cosmetics at Lush for Paula. Down to Pendleton then towards the Pike Market. We stopped at a paper store, Paula shopped and I got our boarding passes on my phone. Down to the market and shopped some more. Grabbed an appetizer and beverage at Pike Place Brewery. Shopped at a yarn store then a travel store and back to the hotel. Chilin and preparing for our flight home tomorrow. Dinner across the street at Anthony's. good stuff

Saturday-September 28, 2013

We left the hotel around 9:00 and headed to Westlake Center in the rain. It went smooth again, train to the airport and some food before the flight. Not very crowded. We got there at 10:00 for a 12:15 flight.

Level Contributor
36,202 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 13 days...long

Wow! Awesome report. Thanks for the details, it sounds like a very memorable trip. :).

2. Re: Trip report 13 days...long

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:38 am, October 03, 2014