We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant suggestions...

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant suggestions...

It looks like we will be staying at the Hyatt/8. I'd love some restaurant ideas in that general area or a short cab or short transit ride away. We tend to like "old school" places that have stood the test of time vs. trendy, although we're open to anything good. Breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas would be great because I doubt we'll eat much at the hotel. Also if there are good Happy Hour places I'd love to hear about those.

Also is there a good place to get pastries or bagels that we can get to keep in the room for breakfast?

Thank you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
537 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant suggestions...

Not sure where to start, there are so many great choices. But for truly "old school" the most traditional, special occasion (i.e. expensive) place in Seattle is Canlis. The only restaurant in town with a dress code. Excellent food, service, ambience and view. This is a cab ride from downtown.

A few long-time favorites within walking distance: The Metropolitan Grill, The Pink Door, Il Bistro, Tulio. There are bakeries in Pike Place Market where you can get items for breakfast, or Whole Foods Market at Westlake & Denny, about 5 blocks from your hotel.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant suggestions...

Thank you I'll check those places out.

Level Contributor
34,483 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant suggestions...

Pink Door is excellent! Very trendy and cool ambiance and innovative food. :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,895 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant suggestions...

Oliver's (the lobby bar at the Mayflower Park hotel) is close by and perfect 'old school'. Love that place!

For excellent Italian go to Assagio's on 4th or Il Bistro in the Market. (Pink Door is a fun place but their food is not all that imo.)

Any Tom Douglas restaurant is worth a visit: Dahlia Lounge, Etta's Seafood, Lola's, Palace Kitchen.

Metropolitan Grill at 2nd & Marion is a good suggestion, as is McCormick & Schmick's Seafood & Steaks 1103 First Ave.

Happy hour: Rocco's pizza on 2nd Avenue near Mama's Mexican Kitchen. Wann Japanese Izakaya 2020 2nd Ave. Ohana Tiki Lounge, Frontier Room BBQ, Black Bottle, Bathtub Gin are all Belltown happy hour places.

Matt's in the Market and Steelhead Diner are good (more trendy) seafoo restaurantsd. Maximillien's is a traditional French restaurant with water views tucked away in the Pike Place Market.

If you happen to be in Pioneer Square at lunch-time Bakeman's on Cherry between 1st & 2nd is about as old-school as you get. Homemade turkey or meatloaf sandwiches and hot lunch specials $5-7.

suze

Edited: 12:15 pm, September 05, 2013
santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant suggestions...

Thank you all, we like a place to have some history in regards to the city we are visiting: PJ Clark's in NYC or Musso and Frank in LA, that kind of thing, but we like anywhere with good food too.

I will check out those Happy Hour places. I love restaurants that do late night Happy Hours because we tend to eat late on vacation.

I'll have to check out public transportation to Belltown.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant suggestions...

Belltown is a location name for a downtown area, not another city; you can walk there from your hotel.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60878-d28…

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,895 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant suggestions...

"Belltown" is just a name for the north end of downtown, like between the Pike Place Market but before the Seattle Center.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant suggestions...

ok thanks you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,032 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant suggestions...

I'll add in:

A +1 for the Steelhead Diner.

The Brooklyn is a pretty traditional place with a good happy hour.

Place Pigalle in Pike Place is great.

Good happy hour at Vons.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant suggestions...

The Happy Hour menu at El Gaucho in Belltown is another excellent choice. Great prices on drinks and the food selections include the likes of crab cakes and a hearty taste of their prime grade beef.