We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renaissance seattle hotel vs springhill suites seattle dwnt

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
renaissance seattle hotel vs springhill suites seattle dwnt

considering these two hotel: renaissance seattle hotel vs spring hill suite seattle downtown.

which hotel is better in terms of location ( walking or taking cab ride or public transportation: street car or bus) to pier54 or pike market or amtrak stations.

I looked at the google maps for walking distance but it cautioned me some area maybe not walkable ( beta area).

also the neighborhoods: restaurants, shop nearby?

Thanks,

Julia

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,912 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renaissance seattle hotel vs springhill suites seattle dwnt

Springhill is on the very fringe of downtown right on the freeway. The Rennaissance is way better but has drawbacks also. Its on the top of a steep hill however its walkable to almost everything. Springhill is sort of isolated in a little corner of downtown. The Rennaissance would not be my top choice for a centrally located hotel but is far better than Springhill. Is there a reason you looked at these two onlY? Assume Marriott points or whatever. In that case definitely go with Rennaissance.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: renaissance seattle hotel vs springhill suites seattle dwnt

David, thanks for the recommendation. Yes, marriot points :-).

On a steep hill? will be travelling with elderly parent.

Found that I have more points that I thought, so could also go with Marriot Pioneer Square.

Which one better Renaissance or Marriot Pioneer Sq?

If I take light rail from the Seatac airport to Marriot Pioneer Square, would it be a lot of walking and steep hill?

Will only bring carry-ons.

Is it better to take shuttle or flat rate for hire?

Thanks and appreciate your suggestions/feedbacks.

Mentioned in this post
Pioneer Square
Pioneer Square
554 Reviews
Seattle, WA
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: renaissance seattle hotel vs springhill suites seattle dwnt

While the Pioneer Square Courtyard by Marriott is certainly on a more level street than the Renaissance, downtown Seattle is very hilly, and it's hard to avoid hills if one is on foot. The Courtyard is about a block and a half from the Pioneer Square light rail station; in this case it's downhill (also pretty steep) for a block of that. It's on a one-way street (Second Avenue, southbound) so to get to the Pike Place Market etc. you'd have to walk a block downhill to First then either bus or walk (slightly uphill) to the market.

You might check out using your Marriott points for the Residence Inn at South Lake Union. It has the advantage of being adjacent to a streetcar line that will take you downtown to the market, or to the monorail to Seattle Center/Space Needle - it might work well for you.

Mentioned in this post
Pioneer Square
Pioneer Square
554 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Pike Place Market
Pike Place Market
17,633 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Lake Union
Lake Union
237 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle Center
Seattle Center
1,295 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renaissance seattle hotel vs springhill suites seattle dwnt

All of the Marriott's in Seattle involve some compromise. I do not like the location of the Springhill Suites and cannot recommend that property.

Seattle is very hilly, and the Renaissance's location is quite steep. The Marriott Pioneer Square, not as much, but some, and that probably would be a good choice for you. Do note however that the Pioneer Square Marriott is undergoing an exterior renovation. I walked by the other day, and it was still covered in scaffolding. I would call the hotel and ask for a completion date. Depending on their reno schedule - decide if that is ok for you - or not. Ask for a higher floor if possible.

Another option would be the Marriott Waterfront. Totally flat, you can walk to waterfront activities, Seattle Sculpture Park, some restaurants, however downside of that location is though it is on the waterfront, it is isolated from the rest of downtown, not close to light rail. You will need to take cabs from that location or take the stairs "("Pike Place Hillclimb") to downtown core. My elderly parents very much like that property - the pool is a favorite of theirs BUT they take a car or cab everywhere.

Here is a downtown accessibility map that shows stairs, elevators, Light Rail, hotel locations, etc. I find it very helpful. For example, if you look at the location of the Renaissance on Madison, you will note multiple stairs.

…kingcounty.gov/maps/pdf/seattle-accessible-…

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Pioneer Square
Pioneer Square
554 Reviews
Seattle, WA
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,912 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renaissance seattle hotel vs springhill suites seattle dwnt

agree with Islandgirl. I like the Courtyard for its levelness however the trade off is there isn't much close by and its in the Courthouse area so there isn't as much to do and when you want to go somewhere you'll end up taking a cab or bus, so the Renaiisance will be better, but you have the same obstacles. I would not take light rail to Rennaissance but the airport shuttle goes right there but for 3 people or more a towncar makes more sense.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: renaissance seattle hotel vs springhill suites seattle dwnt

thanks ibgardyloo , island girl, david for the feedbacks :-)

I thought courtyard pioneer square near restaurants and /or some coffee shops?

are they only open during the day and close at nights?

will take amtrak train to vancouver early morning the next day, so prefer to stay nearby.

you mentioned that seattle is hilly and some of the street are steep, similar to san francisco?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,101 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: renaissance seattle hotel vs springhill suites seattle dwnt

The Courtyard is in the middle of local government offices and courthouses, along with a number of older office buildings. Restaurants are what you'd expect - geared mainly to lunches and coffee breaks. Of course there are a few that are open for dinners, but for the most part you'd have to go a few blocks to get to a wider variety. The Courtyard is at the south end of the main downtown area; the majority of tourist hotels are in the retail area, at the north end.

Anywhere downtown is five minutes by cab from the train station; I wouldn't let that control where you stay.

>> ...you mentioned that seattle is hilly and some of the street are steep, similar to san francisco? <<

Yes, even more so than the Financial District of SF. A cable car (double-ended like on California Street) stopped at the corner where the Renaissance Hotel is located until 1940. In this photo - www.cable-car-guy.com/images/seamad05.jpg - the Renaissance would be at the top of the hill on the right.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: renaissance seattle hotel vs springhill suites seattle dwnt

thanks ibgardyloo for the feedbacks.

glad to hear that train is within 5 minutes cab away from anywhere in downtown.

thanks for the pics. reminded me of mark hopkins and fairmont nob hill, sf.

i didn't want to be caught driving shift stick there anymore :-)

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,101 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: renaissance seattle hotel vs springhill suites seattle dwnt

>> ...reminded me of mark hopkins and fairmont nob hill, sf... <<

Yes, except neither the Mark Hopkins nor the Fairmont faces a freeway.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
25 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: renaissance seattle hotel vs springhill suites seattle dwnt

Welcome, I use a wheelchair and stay with the Renaissance often. There are hills, but the train is an $ 8.00 cab ride to this hotel. I also use Uber.com a town car service. U are close to a fine steakhouse the metropolitan grill which is just down the hill on 2nd Ave.