We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities in Seattle for teens - tidepooling

California
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Activities in Seattle for teens - tidepooling

We just arrived in downtown Seattle for 3 days. This Is our second trip to Seattle. Any good tide pooling areas that are close by? Any other activities recommended for teenage boys? We've done many Seattle tourist spots like space needle, pikes place. Thanks for any suggestions.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities in Seattle for teens - tidepooling

A Google search for Seattle tidepooling results in: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=tide+pools&find_loc=Seattle%2C+WA

What are their interests?

Issaquah, Washington
Level Contributor
526 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities in Seattle for teens - tidepooling

Do you have a car? I like the tide pools at Salt Water State Park, which is about a half an hour south of the downtown area.

California
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities in Seattle for teens - tidepooling

Yes we have a car. Wondering if Aiki beach is good. Teens are into video games so trying to do outdoor walking type things. Thinking also about the Underground tour.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities in Seattle for teens - tidepooling

Here is a recent thread. The question was initially about Olympic National Park but I covered some places around here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60878-i74-k674310…

I have also talked about it here:

tripadvisor.com/…52015625

The post covers some other things you may be interested in.

You can catch the water taxi to West Seattle. At Duwamish Head's Anchor Park you may see some intertidal life at low tide. There is a shuttle to Alki Beach Park. Walking past the lighthouse and then south along the West coast of West Seattle will take you to Constellation Park.

kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTax…

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities in Seattle for teens - tidepooling

At the Experience Music Project/ Sci Fi Museum are a few things the teenager might find interesting.

http://www.empmuseum.org/

There are also all ages shows around town. The Crocodile, which was a famous Grunge era venue has an all ages show tomorrow that they may find interesting.

thecrocodile.com/event/…

The headliner sounds cool but i am a BIG fan of Matt Bishop from local indie standout Hey Marseilles.

At historic Washington Hall on Tuesday 8/20 is an event sponsored by The Vera Project (an influential organization that does all ages shows -- usually at Seattle Center) and SubPop records. The lineup is No Age, Sunfoot, Devin Gary and Ross, and Naomi Punk.

http://www.subpop.com/artists/no_age

http://capturedtracks.com/artists/naomi-punk/

This will be a cool show but it is up hill from the International District and just a few blocks south of Seattle University. However if you go I would take a cab. This is Yesler Terrace I think which is a lower income part of Seattle.

You might also consider getting out of downtown for a day and getting to Ballard or Fremont. In Ballard they might enjoy the Ballard locks. With a car you could also get over to the beach at Golden Gardens. However Ballard is mostly enjoyable as a characteristic Seattle neighborhood. There are indie shops, bars and restaurants. Sonic Boom is a good indie record shop. Across the street Sonic Boom has one of the biggest vinyl collections in the country. There are plenty of places to get coffee and one of the best pastry shops in the city, Cafe Besalu. For coffee try Ballard Coffee Works, Cafe Fiore, or Aster. If you are there around late afternoon go to Walrus and the Carpenter at 3:45. The nationally acclaimed oyster bar and small plates restaurant is one of Seattle's most popular restaurants. Or over on the waterfront sit out on the deck upstairs in Ray's Cafe for some of the best views from a restaurant patio anywhere. In Fremont (follow Leary Avenue south and east and it runs into Fremont) check out some of the cool public art like the statue of Lenin and the huge concrete troll under the Aurora Bridge. Milstead Coffee is one of the cutting edge coffee places in town. Evo is a cool skate/snowboard shop. The building it is located in, the Fremont Collective houses two great restaurants, Korean fusion Joule and French/ contemporary NW restaurant. I am also a huge fan of the Joule owners' other restaurant Revel which is Korean street food inspired with dumplings, savory pancakes and rice and noodle bowls, a great open kitchen and contemporary art on the walls. Nearby Gasworks Park retains the hulking rusted remains of the old gasworks. Climb the hill for massive views of downtown, all of Lake Union, floating homes, floatplanes taking off and more.

OK gotta go for now.

Hope that helps

-K

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities in Seattle for teens - tidepooling

Oh. Recently came across this.

http://www.seattlecenter.com/teentix/

I don't know if the kids are into art but there is a supremely interesting exhibit on at the free Frye Gallery just up hill from downtown in the Pill Hill area. It is a retrospective of process and agitprop artist and environmental and urban Seattle activist Buster Simpson. I would also always recommend Olympic Sculpture Park (also free). The art is mostly contemporary. The park is approachable with beautiful views of the city and sound. And it is free.

-K

California
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities in Seattle for teens - tidepooling

Thanks voyaging, k, and wheatgrower for all the helpful suggestions!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities in Seattle for teens - tidepooling

The International District is a lot of fun. Uwajimaya grocery, Kinokuniya bookstore and this neighborhood are usually a hit with teens. A little to the south is the Goodwill outlet center featured in Macklemore / Ryan Lewis Thrift Shop video. Teens love the Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe on the waterfront. Be sure to go all the way to the back to see the mummies.

If you want to be the coolest parent ever, go to Home Depot for several cans of cheap spray paint (black and silver recommended)and stop by the free wall Tubs Building on 50th and Roosevelt to do some painting. This is an entirely legal activity, BTW. I have taken school field trips there. There is a Dick's Hamburgers right nearby on 45th that kids like (and a comics shop down the block from Dick's).

Teentix pass will save you a lot at the EMP. You can use the letter they'll send by email so don't delay. Lots of pop culture at the emp and a very cool building, too. Teentix also gets you in to the laser shows at the science center for $5. Another cool building to explore is the Seattle Public Library downtown. Find the "Red Floor".

They might also like the Microsoft museum and store on the eastside in Building 92 on the Msft campus. Nintendo closed their museum, and I don't think Valve or Bungee or other game companies have anything.

California
Level Contributor
164 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Activities in Seattle for teens - tidepooling

What is the address of the Microsoft Museum? I think my teens would definitely be interested in this.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Activities in Seattle for teens - tidepooling

Address: 15010 NE 36th St, Redmond, WA 98052

Phone:(425) 703-6214

microsoft.com/about/…default.aspx