We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beverages

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ann arbor, mi
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Beverages

Our group of 12 is renting a 5-bedroom home for 6 nights. We would like to purchase beer/alcoholic beverages. Can we purchase these items in Costco and grocery stores? Any favorite local wines or IPA beers to recommend? Thanks!

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,223 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beverages

Yes, wine and liquor are available in groceries and at Costco. There are 690 wineries in WA state so it would be hard to recommend something without knowing exactly what you like (and even then...) but maybe someone will recommend a local IPA.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beverages

Yes, alcohol, beer, wine is available at Costco (there is one just south of downtown) and in grocery stores, etc. We also have large, stand alone beverage stores; i.e.; Total Wine, Bev Mo.

Local Beer and Wine to recommend? Oh my gosh the list can go on for days. And a favorite? Oh that is always changing too. Depends also on the price point. The good news is we have a tremendous selection, so you can try many! Costco will often carry just one IPA, usually Hale's Mongoose (Seattle), but if I see others, I grab it, sometimes they have Ninkasi (Eugene, Oregon). Local grocery stores and the beverage stores have terrific selections of local and unusual IPAs. In my neighborhood, that's at QFC or Whole Foods, and price/value depends on which store has the better sale. There is both a Total Wine and Costco in Tukwila, near the airport.

Edited: 3:56 pm, July 23, 2013
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beverages

Where is the rental? It might provide a clue as to what is locally available.

ann arbor, mi
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beverages

We are in the Magnolia neighborhood. Thanks for everyone's information so far!

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beverages

If you have never tried a PNW style IPA it will blow you away and change your mind about what beer can be , I know it did for me anyways

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beverages

Two good Porters...

Black Butte Porter

Georgetown Porter (might be served only in restaurants or at the brewery)

We like darker, heavier bodied, less hoppy, beer.

http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/18

Paris, France
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beverages

I second the porters recommendations. There are a few others that you might see that will also be good.

As for wine, look for a places that specialize in wine. They will have a large selection and they usually have a well trained staff.

You can use maps.google.com to zoom into your area and search for wine to see the stores in the area. Or, maybe yelp.com has some reviews for the magnolia area.

Edited: 7:43 pm, July 23, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,256 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beverages

I'm more of a wine-o myself, but with all of the NW micro-brews & brew pubs, there are plenty of beer drinkers here too. I occasionally enjoy a dark brew, but don't have a favorite to recommend. I know that growlers are somewhat popular, but ever place seems to have it's own rules as to what they'll let you take home or require that you have to buy 'their' container.

I tend to shop Trader Joe's (no, not 2 buck Chuck, thank you very much!) or QFC as they have a good wine selection. With all of the NW wineries you won't run out of reds or whites to try either.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beverages

What's your wine budget? I've been stocking (and drinking at almost the same pace) my wine cellar for 35-plus years and could recommend wines in all price ranges. But my "go-to" label for everyday drinking is Columbia Crest. Virtually every varietal they bottle is very good (routinely get scores in the high 80s to low 90s from Wine Spectator) and exceptional values -- their "regular" bottles are $10 or less, and their Two Vines bottles closer to $6. We especially like their cabernets and merlots, but the Rieslings and Semillon-chardonnay blends are right up there, too. The wines are found in just about every grocery store on the West Coast -- they're one of the largest producers in the world.

10. Re: Beverages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 25, 2014