We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th July- walking back from gasworks park alone?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
4th July- walking back from gasworks park alone?

Hey I'm visiting Seattle from England for the 4th July and I know there is the fireworks at gasworks park- however I appreciate with the holiday and sheer amount of people transport other than foot isn't an option.. however how safe would I legitimately be able to feel walking back from gasworks park to the U district (20-25 mins walk on google maps to hotel). Not being from here I am unsure of the relative safety of the area as I've only really been warned about downtown/pioneer square.

Thanks for any help

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th July- walking back from gasworks park alone?

Walking along the top of the lake to the University District should be reasonably safe. There should be a fair number of people walking in all directions. The Burke Gilman trail runs right long side of Pacific Way and continues along 40th. When you get to Eastlake/Roosevelt (I'm not sure how it is signed right there) that leads north to the University Inn and Watertown or continue straight to the College Inn. There is always the potential for some crime in areas where it is dark or not well traveled but the area around Gasworks is mostly marinas on the lake and upscale housing to the the north. Then after you get under I-5 it is basically the UW Campus area.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th July- walking back from gasworks park alone?

After the fireworks the whole area is congested with people walking in all directions. (Think Wembley after a big match.) You will have plenty of company on the street, much of it en route to some bar.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,218 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th July- walking back from gasworks park alone?

There will a tons of people out that night. Thousands come out in person to see the fireworks. So I think it's fine to walk back up to the U-District afterwards. Just stick to main well-lit streets/sidewalks.

suze

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th July- walking back from gasworks park alone?

Haha, you will be far from alone! It is a big family crowd and I wouldn't (and don't) give it a thought. See you there ! 😊

5. Re: 4th July- walking back from gasworks park alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 01, 2014