We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Happy Hour or Early Dinner Recs?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Happy Hour or Early Dinner Recs?

I am looking for a trendy, fun, tasty restaurant where we can grab a bite to eat and maybe a drink in the late afternoon/early evening on a Friday. In trying to be budget conscious, I'd like to make it somewhere in time to still get lunch prices or happy hour deals. Any suggestions?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
187 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Happy Hour or Early Dinner Recs?

This question is a little vague and you're likely to get responses that are all over the map. Three places I haven't heard mentioned much on the forum that I'll recommend...Spur Gastropub in Belltown; and on Capitol Hill, both Quinn's and Smith are(were?) outstanding spots for creative pub food...all three have pretty carnivorous menus so keep that in mind if you want to check them out. I'd also recommend Ivar's Salmon House on Lake Union-it may be a little on the touristy/kitschy side, but it has tremendous happy hour deals.

Another thing to keep in mind-Seattle's kind of unusual in that two happy hours are the norm-one usually ends at 7pm and the second one goes from 9pm-midnite or later.

For more helpful responses-where are you staying? Any dietary restrictions? And what's your budget? To some people, "happy hour pricing" means a $2 PBR tall boy, while others are more interested in a $7 martini that would normally cost $12...

Mentioned in this post
Spur Gastropub
Spur Gastropub
134 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Belltown
Belltown
62 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Capitol Hill
Capitol Hill
146 Reviews
Seattle, WA
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Happy Hour or Early Dinner Recs?

Where are you going to be? There are happy hours all over town, most with food. Elliott's Oyster house is well known for its progressive oyster bar.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,265 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Happy Hour or Early Dinner Recs?

None of my favorite HH are on Friday--it's pretty common for restaurants to only have these Sun-Thurs. But there are some options. Elliott's is one as #2 suggested, though get there early. Here's a couple lists to get you started.

seattlemag.com/article/best-happy-hours-rest…

…eater.com/archives/2013/01/29/readers-vote-…

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Happy Hour or Early Dinner Recs?

Hi Ainwa. I will be in downtown, but we will have a car so we don't mind driving to a "more fun" neighborhood if one exists.

Christy, these are great lists! Thanks!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Happy Hour or Early Dinner Recs?

We've enjoyed some really good food at a relatively cheap price at El Gaucho steakhouse's happy hour.

Mentioned in this post
El Gaucho Seattle
El Gaucho Seattle
513 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Happy Hour or Early Dinner Recs?

Whoops, missed your post, YankeeCarl. Location is not a restriction since we will have a car. However, I do want to stick around a "trendier, more fun" neighborhood (i.e. don't want to go somewhere isolated). We fall more into the second happy hour category (good prices on martinis rather than $2 glass of beer). Thanks!

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,265 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Happy Hour or Early Dinner Recs?

If you want to be in a more fun trendy 'hood I'd suggest heading to Capitol Hill or Ballard. Bastille in Ballard has a great HH and it's every day.

Mentioned in this post
Capitol Hill
Capitol Hill
146 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Ballard
Ballard
15 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Happy Hour or Early Dinner Recs?

Ballard would be fun, but personally, I would stay downtown or head to South Lake Union. Not driving is always a good option with happy hour.

If you want to stay downtown and not drive several of Tom Douglas' restaurants have happy hour 3-5pm, Monday thru Friday. Many of his locations are downtown or South Lake Union. i.e.; his South Lake Union Cuoco is quite popular with a 2-6 HH, Monday through Friday. 4:30-6:30 on the weekends. I like Etta's "Crabby Hour" - M-F 3-5pm or Lola (4-6 M-F) , right downtown.

http://tomdouglas.com

Also right downtown The Tap House has a terrific happy hour - 3:30-6:30 - the location is great, right in the heart of downtown, though there is nothing special about the restaurant aesthetics, but I like their food variety and we love their 150+ beers on tap.

Cactus South LakeUnion is one of my favorites - has happy hour 3-6 Monday-Friday, Sat/Sun 3-5, always popular. Quite fond of their margaritas. :-)

Toulouse Petit, near the Seattle Center - again easy to get to on transit or walking has a great happy hour. Though last time I went, it was super crowded. But it is a very good HH - so no surprise that it is crowded!

Mentioned in this post
Ballard
Ballard
15 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle Center
Seattle Center
1,279 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Happy Hour or Early Dinner Recs?

I like the Happy Hour at Von's.

http://www.vons1000spirits.com/#menu

10. Re: Happy Hour or Early Dinner Recs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 26, 2014