We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half a Day/1 Night in Seattle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Half a Day/1 Night in Seattle

Well, you see plenty of '1 day in Seattle' or '1 week in Seattle' but how about this for a challenge?

Basically, we're arriving from Victoria BC at midday and we depart by Amtrak again the next morning. So the question is, how to get the best 'feel' for Seattle during this short time? This will be in late May.

Now, we'll be doing plenty of ferry journeys around the BC islands in the week prior to this stopover, so we can forget about taking a ferry ride. We're also planning on whale watching a week later in our trip when we reach the Oregon coastline - so we don't need to worry about this whilst in Seattle.

So really we're just aiming to spend one afternoon/evening taking in as much as we can so that we can go home feeling like we've seen something of Seattle.

We're staying near the intersection of 2nd Avenue and Battery St which I believe is fairly central. So far, I'm thinking that we should:

- Drop our bags and then go to see Pike Place market before it closes

- Go to the Space Needle and if the weather is clear take a look at the top to get a proper view of the city

- Have dinner in a renowned cafe/restaurant (I've heard the 5 point cafe mentioned quite a lot?)

- Go out for some beers in some genuine brewery/bar type places (we'll be there on a Monday night - will this limit the nightlife options?).

- We're happy to stay out late if it means we can get a good feel for the city, our Amtrak leaves the next morning at 7:30am but as long as get 4 or 5 hours sleep we'll survive!

Can anyone else suggest some 'must do's during our short time, preferably things that are close together so that we don't spend the entire time running back and forwards across the city wasting valuable time? Fortunately in late May it doesn't get dark until 8pm, so from arrival in the city centre after our flight from Victoria we should still have approx 6 or 7 hours of the daylight left before we need to pack up our cameras and head indoors for food/drinks.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,804 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half a Day/1 Night in Seattle

I think you got a good handle on things. I laughed when you mentioned the 5point as a 'renowned'. Its more of a local dive but unique and close to your apt. You arrive on the waterfront so if you could leave your bags at the clipper for a bit you could walk a block or two and explore the waterfront. You could then go to the hotel and drop your bags and walk back to the Market. Its the most unique thing in Seattle and very popular. If you wanted to then walk to 5th and Pine you cuuld take the monorail to the space needle. They are selling a combo ticket that gives you the needle and the Dale Chilhuly glass musuem as one price. I think thats about $33. You could then walk back to your apt for the nite. There are tons of great restaraunts downtown. I'm not a foodie so I'll let others comment.

You will love the train to vancouver. Check Amtrak.com as there is a fare special till tomorrow. Perhaps they will credit your fare if the price went down. Enjoy the nw.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half a Day/1 Night in Seattle

I concur about dropping the bags and heading to the Market. Since you're here such a short time, check out one of the Market tours. You can get them at a discount sometimes on Goldstar.com.

After the Market, I'd personally head out to hit a few happy hours because they're big in Seattle right now. You can check out several places that way. I wouldn't go to the Space Needle until after sunset.

You could walk up and eat dinner there. That's a far cry from the 5 Points, though, so it depends on your personal style. I'd say hit the 5 Points (or similar) after you've been out to the pubs for a few hours! It's more that kind of place.

The only things you can't do on a Monday is go to see live theater or go to art galleries. They're traditionally closed on Mondays.

We wouldn't have suggested whale watching or ferries for you, btw.Coming from Victoria, you've probably done the ferry. They have good whale watching there, too, better than Oregon. Seattle itself is not convenient for whale watching.

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Half a Day/1 Night in Seattle

Thanks for the messages so far!

davidgmg, we're actually arriving from Victoria by plane to Sea-Tac (we're visiting Victoria Island and it was much quicker to get to Seattle this way than heading back to Vancouver by ferry and taking the Amtrak). So I guess we'll be on the train from the airport and can get off as close to possible to our hotel to drop our bags and then hit the city.

So would you say that staying in/around the area comprising of the Pike Place Market, Belltown, and the Space Needle should suffice in allowing us to soak up as much of what Seattle has to offer in such a short time, and that we won't really need to venture out much further than this?

With regards to the 5 points, we'll be doing plenty of 'fine dining' so to speak out on the Gulf Islands etc so in a way we were hoping for a typically over-sized greasy American comfort food type joint, just for the experience whilst we're passing through! Although if it's a 'dive' so to speak maybe we should avoid it and find somewhere nicer.

Is the Belltown area of our hotel a good place for drinking, or will we need to head further afield in the evening to get to some of the better places?

Finally, we have the option the following morning of taking the 7:30am Amtrak Cascades heading south to Oregon or the 9:45am Coast Starlight. Has anyone travelled on both of these and can offer a comparison - if there is much difference between the two?

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Half a Day/1 Night in Seattle

Fwiw Victoria Island is in the arctic far far away from where you want to visit , its actually Vancouver Island that you are after

Edited: 8:43 am, March 15, 2013
Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Half a Day/1 Night in Seattle

Sorry, I meant Victoria on Vancouver Island...

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,258 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half a Day/1 Night in Seattle

Regarding the train to Portland...The Coast Starlight is one of the older, 2 level trains which travel cross country. They have larger seats with more leg room & a full service dining car, snack bar usually on the observation lounge car. The Amtrak Cascades are newer one level Talgo trains (Spanish designed, made in the US) which have somewhat smaller cars with leather seats & free WiFi. If you're a bit nostalgic about train travel, then I'd take the Coast Starlight. If you like more modern, European style trains, then opt for the Cascades - something unique to the Pacific NW.

http://www.amtrak.com/coast-starlight-train

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Half a Day/1 Night in Seattle

Hello all, sorry to drag this up again but as my trip is now only a few weeks ago I just have another couple of questions.

We've decided our first prioirty should be to get to Pike Place market, and then Queen Ann park for a view of the city, with a visit to the Space Needle if the weather is nice.

I just wondered if there's much of a music scene on a Monday evening? I enjoy most music, but either some kind of indie-rock or at the other end of the scale some jazz would go down well. Alternatively if there's not much music happening, where in the city would be best on a Monday to enjoy a few local bars/pubs? I don't want to be sat in an empty/boring bar if we only have one evening to explore Seattle!

Issaquah, Washington
Level Contributor
514 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Half a Day/1 Night in Seattle

It depends on the Monday night. What day exactly is it? I'd check out the calendar at The Stranger.

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Music

Some of my favorite places within walking distance for you are The Triple Door, the Market Showbox, and the Crocodile. You should also check Dimitriou's Jazz Alley. They don't just have jazz there and the venue is nice but I think the food is average and fairly expensive.

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Half a Day/1 Night in Seattle

We'll be there on Monday 21st May - thanks for the link, will check it out!

10. Re: Half a Day/1 Night in Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 14, 2014