We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area would you recommend - Downtown or Fremont?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Which area would you recommend - Downtown or Fremont?

We are staying for 3 nights in Seattle in April and need to decide whether to stay in Fremont or Downtown. We have found a good hostel in each so would like recommendations on the area rather than specific places to stay.

We are in our late twenties and I suppose a bit alternative. We would like to go to bars and see some live music while in Seattle but are also interested in seeing tourist attractions during the day.

Which area would you recommend?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area would you recommend - Downtown or Fremont?

Will you have a car?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area would you recommend - Downtown or Fremont?

Nope we wont have a car but are happy to walk and use public transport as long as its not too extortionate.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area would you recommend - Downtown or Fremont?

The sights and food and entertainment are much more concentrated downtown. There's fun and funky stuff in Fremont, but you'll end up taking a taxi for dinner and drinks.

Maybe some of the Seattle folks will have better responses than mine.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area would you recommend - Downtown or Fremont?

Stay downtown and visit Fremont.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area would you recommend - Downtown or Fremont?

Downtown is not a great neighborhood for live music clubs, but it is centrally located for the neighborhoods that are--Capitol Hill, Ballard and to a lesser extent, Fremont and Belltown. Fremont would be nice to stay in in terms of being in a vibrant neighborhood with other young people, lots of bars/restaurants/shops, but you'd end up paying for taxi rides if you wanted to go out in Capitol Hill; you could bus to Ballard, though I'm not sure how late the buses run and getting home at 2 am could be an issue. You can take a long walk or a bus ride up Capitol Hill from downtown. It would be more fun to stay on the hill, if you can swing a b and b.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area would you recommend - Downtown or Fremont?

Ok, I am totally bias, but Fremont is a great neighborhood and is also very centrally located. You will NOT need to take a taxi for dinner since there are so many great restaurants in Fremont. The big issue is that we only have one place in downtown Fremont to stay -- hotel, hotel is a hostel, but before you say no way, this is a very cool, simple and good spot. There are private rooms with ensuite bath and you are literally in the heart of Fremont, one block from the Troll. Pie is downstairs, Pel' meni Dumpling Tzar around the corner, Hunger two doors up, Lenin is on the same block.. But if you want a more neighborhood, resident stay 9 Cranes Inn is awesome, you feel like you live there. A single family home converted to B&B just up the hill and a mile walk or bus away from the heart of Fremont. I would be happy to send you info -- or check out Fremont.com for lists of businesses and sites.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area would you recommend - Downtown or Fremont?

Fremont is a great area. There are a few music venues -- The High Dive and Nectar and Fremont Abbey has pretty regular music too. It has one of my favorite bars - Brouwer's and one my favorite breweries, Fremont Brewing Company. The Sixgill from notable Ballard beer bar Noble FIr is opening in April. Fremont has been buzzing on the restaurant scene as well with Revel (Korean street food inspired -- I'm actually eating there in a couple hours), Joule (same owners, slightly more upscale), and the Whale Wins (Renee Erickson, who owns the Walrus and the Carpenter in Ballard) all getting national press. Then there is the recently opened Agrodolce from award winning Maria Hines. Just up there is Dot's (deli and contemporary American), Uneedaburger (burgers) and Via Tribunali (Neopolitan Pizza). There are many other places. There is a good grocery store (PCC), several coffee houses (Milstead and Co. is getting national attention and Fremont Coffee roasts their own beans), and more happening all the time.

You are only a few miles from downtown in Fremont with easy direct bus service.

As mentioned above it is also quite close to Ballard, which I think you would like a lot. It is simple to get there. Just take the 40. It's about a 10 minute, $2-$2.50 bus ride. Ballard has many many bars, several music venues and bars with regular music (The Tractor, the Sunset, The 2Bit, Conor Byrne, the Copper Gate), and a very sizable assortment of restaurants from nationally known places from award winning chefs like Walrus and the Carpenter and Staple and Fancy to English pub food (Market Arms), French (Bastille), German (People's Pub), Thai (several places), Mexican (La Carta de Oaxaca amongst others), burgers, pizza, sushi, Indian and much more. You can read some more of my posts on Ballard but it is a pretty interesting neighborhood. Traditionally Scandinavian and commercial fishing oriented it retains some of both. It has a Puget Sound waterfront, the ship canal locks, a local Noridic Heritage Museum and a big year round Sunday farmer's market (although that really starts taking off later in the year). Oh yeah ... by the time you get here we will be up to about 9 breweries open in Ballard. Two are opening the first week in March and another is opening near Hales between Ballard and Fremont.

Again you are probably only 15 minutes from downtown staying in Fremont. Most other places in North Seattle that you could conceivably want to visit (Ballard, Phinney/Greenwood, Wallingford, Greenlake, The University District) all 15 minutes or less by bus.

-K

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,283 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area would you recommend - Downtown or Fremont?

I vote Fremont!! I normally would send "tourists" downtown but for what you describe about yourselves, I think you'll really enjoy Fremont. It's very easy to catch Metro bus to downtown from there for the typical sight-seeing stuff.

suze

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area would you recommend - Downtown or Fremont?

You might look at club listings now and see where you want to go out, and let that guide your decision. If the clubs/bars you want to go to are in Ballard or Fremont, then Fremont is easy. If you want to see a show on Capitol Hill, Fremont may not be so convenient (though a taxi ride home works).

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
154 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area would you recommend - Downtown or Fremont?

Fremont! Great vibe there.