We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a day trip from Seattle in May

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Galena, Ohio
Level Contributor
451 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
a day trip from Seattle in May

I will be visiting Seattle in May with my daughter and my mother. Mother has a wheelchair although she is not bound to it. She can do very short level walks and climb a few typically spaced steps. She can get in and out of cars easily, the large steps on a bus would require a handicapped accessible van or bus....We are looking at day trips out of Seattle on May 18 ---that is the only full day for touring we have, will get to do in town touring the morning of the 19 and 26,27, but not for a day trip. We are interested in these four ideas.....a trip to Mt. Rainier, a trip to Mt. St Helens, a whale watching tour of San Juan (although we think we can do this as a part of our cruise in Victoria), or a trip to Olympic National Park. I really want to see Olympia, daughter really wants to see Mt. St Helens. Didn't want to rent a car....Looking for guided tours...any suggestions for our best options? thanks for your help:)

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,818 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a day trip from Seattle in May

Mt. St Helens exit off of 5 is over 100 miles. ONP is also way too far for a 'day trip'. Your also not going to find any tours to the San Juans form seattle with the Exception of

clippervacations.com

Check their website as they do a day trip to Friday Harbor and in the spring do whale watching tours. Mt Rainier you also have more options. Look at

customizedtours.net

evergreenescapes.com

toursnorthwest.com

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: a day trip from Seattle in May

In addition to the distance, both Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens will still have a lot of deep snow on the ground in May - probably over ten feet deep at the Paradise visitor center on Rainier. Plus the chances of being socked in are very high.

I think renting a car will be your best option, and I'd do a day tour of Whidbey Island, Deception Pass, and the Skagit Valley. Drive north from Seattle to the cute little town of Mukilteo, then take a short ferry ride over to Whidbey Island. Visit the very cute waterfront towns of Langley and Coupeville, then stop at Deception Pass, an amazing gap between Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands, with water churning way below the bridge between the two islands.

Then you return to the mainland (no ferry) via Hwy 20, and visit the little town of La Conner. Return to Seattle via the lovely Skagit Valley. Mid-May will probably be too late for the tulips grown there, but it's still a lovely drive.

Another good day trip would involve driving east from Seattle for 45 min. to Snoqualmie Falls, which in May will be spectacular with all the water from melting mountain snows going over the falls. May 19 is a Sunday, so if you wanted a very nice brunch, go to the Salish Lodge, which overlooks the falls (and was featured in the old TV series "Twin Peaks," much of which was filmed in the Snoqualmie Valley.)

Then after visiting the falls, drive up Hwy 203 through Carnation (home of the dairy) and then visit the town of Snohomish (off US 2, which SR 203 joins at Monroe.) Snohomish is a nice historic old town with a main street given over to boutiques and antique shops, cafes and the like. Hwy 203 travels up the Snoqualmie Valley (downriver from the Falls) which in May will also be beautiful with spring flowers and the like, and maybe some excellent views of Mount Rainier and the Cascades.

Either of these day trips will be easy but will be great introduction to the countryside close to Seattle. Not as spectacular as volcanoes, maybe, but in May a lot easier to visit.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,644 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a day trip from Seattle in May

I am one of those people that would never pass up visiting a National Park if I am in the area. If you understand you will have a few hours of driving for the whole day, there will be lots of snow (not on the roads) and you can wait until the last minute to make a decision I would not rule it out. I say last minute, because you will want to wait and see what the weather conditions are. If the mountain is visable from Seattle, it is worth the drive IMO. It will be mostly about the gorgeous views from the windows of your rental car, not about walks. I was born in Ohio, and there is nothing there that even comes close to its dramatic setting!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a day trip from Seattle in May

Whidbey Island WI is a great day or more getaway with many features of the Pacific NW; this TA article includes key websites, tours, maps. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

On Whidbey Island, an easy hike, Ebey’s Landing State Park Dramatic, easy, trail, farmland to the east, Puget Sound and the Olympics to the west. http://tinyurl.com/3c8zrnc

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a day trip from Seattle in May

Dandl, can you tell us about some other trips that you and your mother have enjoyed? This might give us a better idea of suitable suggestions. I can tell you right now that Olympic National Park is out. It is way too far, too spread out, and too inaccessible for your mother to be worth the drive, especially in May when the Hurricane Ridge parking lot will be full of snow and ice.

Galena, Ohio
Level Contributor
451 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a day trip from Seattle in May

Thank you all for your insights. My mother loves mountains. She has loved the smoky mountains all her life and to see the mountains of the west would be truly spectacular for her. We plan to visit mt Roberts in Juneau and do the white pass train trip so I think that may satisfy her desire for those types of vistas. My daughter was REALLY hoping for mt St helens for the volcano history. I will look into whidbey island as that seems doable. But I was really hoping for guided tours and not renting a car as I am totally unfamiliar with anything west of the Mississippi. I flew into salt lake once, visited albequerque as a young teen, and have been to OKC for a horseshow for my daughter. This will be my first sight of the pacific so I was the one excited about Olympic...but we are only in Seattle for a little while on our way to Alaska. My research on whidbey island will begin:) thanks for your help!

Seattle Area
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a day trip from Seattle in May

To combine a lot into one day, with interest for all ages, take a ride on a Washington State ferry to Bainbridge Island - great scenery, ironically Seattle and VERY reasonable price.

Once on Bainbridge Island take a tour with Kitsap Tours (www.KitsapTours.com). Small mini coach with easy entrance. They can accommodate folding wheel chairs and the tours require moderate walking with options for less.

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
154 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a day trip from Seattle in May

Another nice day trip (in addition to the great ones already suggested) would be to take the Bainbridge Island or Kingston ferry and drive to Port Townsend. While there, visit Fort Warden State Park.

If you get an early start, you might even be able to catch the ferry from Port Townsend to Whidbey Island (Keystone) and see some of what was suggested by others above (Langley is nice).

If the weather is good, head for the mountains!!

Edited: 11:42 am, March 01, 2013
9. Re: a day trip from Seattle in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 03, 2014