We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-Paid Cell Phone with International txt/call options?

NWT
Level Contributor
500 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-Paid Cell Phone with International txt/call options?

Need some advice on a pre-paid phone option (including buying the phone on the cheap) without a monthly fee. Need something that allows international txting. I travel in the US sporadically, and using my normal phone is really expensive. I just want something I can use while I'm there about 4 times a year. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Virgin doesn't do pre-paid...and am not sure who else to look at? Thanks

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,552 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-Paid Cell Phone with International txt/call options?

did you look at Tracfone? available at 7-11's for abut $8 for the phone. They allow canada ld free.

http://www.tracfone.com/

Vigin is prepaid but Canada and US require different phones. I'm looking at prepaid for Canada. Have you looked at Petro Canada or 7-11's plans there to see if you could use phone in USA?

Also look at

HSN.com

and look at prepaid cellular as they have some great phones with minutes.

NWT
Level Contributor
500 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-Paid Cell Phone with International txt/call options?

Thanks! That's very very helpful!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,552 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-Paid Cell Phone with International txt/call options?

radioshack.com

has a section for prepaid phones and they show the rate plans for the ones they sell. They also have the Tracfone for $8 but the 7-11 one is readily available.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-Paid Cell Phone with International txt/call options?

Used to be if you bought the phone from Walmart, you got free double minutes. See if you can get one linked to Verizon because they have the best network. Most prepaids are linked to Sprint it seems.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,552 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-Paid Cell Phone with International txt/call options?

just so you know Sprint roams on Verizon towers so coverage is pretty good.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
946 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-Paid Cell Phone with International txt/call options?

If you have your own unlocked phone, you could check out t-mobile. They offer unlimited data and text messages plus 100 minutes of US domestic calling in a 30 day period for $50 ($30 if you can figure out how to order it online). Then you can use it to send e-mail/Gtalk/Skype messages without worrying about international rates at all.

Denver
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-Paid Cell Phone with International txt/call options?

The trac phones are a real pain. If you travel a lot and especially if you company has international offices, you should get Office@Hand from AT&T. Cloud based, and calls to the US and Canada from anywhere in the world are free. Saves our Germany office over $8000 per month just calling back to HQ in Seattle. Plus the mobile app works over wifi so I can call my wife for free wherever I am too. I think that AT&T sells it without a contract. So it is worth a try.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
941 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-Paid Cell Phone with International txt/call options?

also you could just Skype for free.audio only or audio and video both.totally free.

9. Re: Pre-Paid Cell Phone with International txt/call options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 29, 2014