We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day visit to Victoria, worth it?

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
1 day visit to Victoria, worth it?

We will be renting a little cottage outside of sequim for six days. We (2 adultts, 2 teens, a 12 yo, and 8 yo.) are thinking about a day trip to Victoria, going over on ferry walking on. Is it worth the time and expense and would could we see and still make it back by the last ferry? What ferry also?

This will be middle of August.

Also what other not to miss sights should we see. We do have our vehicle that we can drive, but trying to stay on a small budget. Gas prices gone out of hand and not helping. Our original plan was Grand Canyon, but scrapped that one to stay closer to home, LOL!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Port Angeles, WA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day visit to Victoria, worth it?

You can certainly do a trip to Victoria for the day as walk-on ferry passengers, see the sights, do some great shopping and make it back for the final ferry of the day. Ferry ticket is about $20 per person round-trip. That's Black Ball Transit aboard the MV Coho out of Port Angeles. Parking for the day in Port Angeles will cost you $5.

Check on bus tours to Butchart Gardens (they're a way out, but you can get a bus tour package that would be cheaper than driving the vehicle onto the ferry and paying to park it everywhere in Victoria).

Victoria is a walking city. A few blocks up from the ferry is China Town (great places to eat), shopping everywhere, excellent restaurants, cultural events.

Definitely go see the Royal BC Museum (a block from the ferry terminal). It has an I-Max theater which would be great for the kids. The Museum is very user-friendly and good for kids and adults. First nations collection is great -- and an exhibit on how global warming and climate changes are affecting and will affect North America.

You can take a carriage ride through Victoria's old city area and a lovely park. (Less than $100 for 2 hour tour), but is a little quiet.

The Bug Zoo is a huge favorite with the young set. That's about 2 blocks from the Royal BC Museum.

OK -- That should give you lots to think about. I live in Port Angeles and Victoria is a favorite run-away-for-the-day place for me.

Snoqualmie, WA
Level Contributor
237 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day visit to Victoria, worth it?

Shazmataz is right on all acounts.

Might I add that you could easily spend 3 hours at the Royal BC Museum...the Bug Zoo was really cool and we spent an hour there too.

I doubt you could squeeze Butchart in with everything else. Might see if the Royal Scot Suite has anything available for one night. It's a bargain hotel in a great location. Then you could do Butchart and a city tour on one day..then the Bug Zoo and Royal BC another.

We just returned from a one night stay and wished we had two full days to see just those things mentioned.

Walking on is a breeze and you will not need a car...have fun!!!!!!

new jersey
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day visit to Victoria, worth it?

When we were there, we stopped at Craigdarroch Castle (web site www.thecastle.ca). It was a very interesting place.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day visit to Victoria, worth it?

We have been to Victoria 7 or 8 times. and will again. Mostly we have walked on ferry either PA or Seattle. only take car when we are going on to Vancouver.

Funny but we never seemd to manage to get to Butchart Gardens first several visits, and after being there not sorry we waited. it can take most of a day. and to me that is not Victoria.

Shazmataz has great list probably more than you can do in a day that is Victoria. we particularly enjoyed the carriage ride.

Did i mention we honeymooned there 40 plus years ago. ?