We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter in Seattle

Melbourne australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Winter in Seattle

I will be arriving from Australia in Dec. 05 with my family (2kids, 8 and 10). Waht's something different for us to see and do. Best places to eat and stay. Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
467 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter in Seattle

The weather can be windy and rainy in December, so remember to bring a good coat and umbrella.

December is basically centered around Christmas in downtown Seattle. My favorite place to shop is at Pacific Place. There have good restaurants there and there is a movie theater as well. And during the Christmas season, once a day there is (fake) snow that falls through the mall and carolers (singing groups). http://www.pacificplaceseattle.com/home.html

I am trying to remember but there was one night when everyone gathered around in December and they were caroling on street corners, but I will have to ask my friends about that.

The Nordstrom store had a place where children could visit Santa Claus. As well, there is a carousel that is near the Sephora store. And horse and carriage rides were very popular in downtown Seattle this past December.

Sincerely,

Diana

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Place
Pacific Place
110 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter in Seattle

You've probably already read about Pike Place Market, the Space Needle and Woodland Park Zoo. Those are great during the day.

But, take it from a native, winter days in Seattle are awfully short -- in early December, the sun sets around 4:15. So you'll need some things to do in the evening with the kids.

Performing arts: "The Nutcracker" ballet is truly amazing. Sets and costumes were designed by Maurice Sendak. The theater is at Seattle Center, which also has Seattle Children's Theater. The 5th Avenue Theater and the Paramount Theater (both downtown) often have family -- appropriate shows in December. ACT Theatre always does a good Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." Start watching their Web sites in August and September for their schedules.

Seattle Center: Pacific Science Center is where kids can do cool science experiments. Some of the exhibits change seasonally. There's an Imax theater at the Science Center. And nearby on the Seattle Center grounds, there will be a temporary ice-skating rink with skates available for rent. Seattle Children's museum is probably too young for your kids.

Movies: There are two multiplexes downtown, and a couple of Imax screens and the Cinerama with it's big, wide screen.

Museums: They're everywhere. My favorite is the Burke, at the University of Washington (a 20-minute bus ride from downtown). It has a good collection of Native American artifacts, among many, many other exhibits. Seattle Aquarium is also quite nice for kids.

Free/cheap stuff -- daytime: Ye Olde Curiosity Shop. It's on the waterfront near the ferry terminal, south of the aquarium. Head straight for the back of the store, where you'll see all kinds of oddities, including 2 mummified people, fleas in wedding atire, the Lord's Prayer etched on a grain of rice, a two-headed pig. Head south a few steps and get fish and chips (about $6 per person) and feed french fries to the seagulls, right out of your hand. North of downtown, between the Ballard and Magnolia neighborhoods, you can see the boat locks and fish ladder. It's more interesting during the summer when people in their luxury yachts come through, along with giant, leaping salmon returning from the ocean to spawn in fresh water. (their web site: http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/PublicMenu/Menu.cfm?sitename=lwsc&pagename=mainpage)

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Space Needle
Space Needle
14,681 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle Center
Seattle Center
1,278 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Cinerama
Cinerama
139 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Washington
Washington
United States
Seattle Aquarium
Seattle Aquarium
3,579 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Ye Olde Curiosity Shop
Ye Olde Curiosity Shop
141 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Ballard
Ballard
15 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
467 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter in Seattle

The singing event is called "Figgy Pudding", and it is caroling charity event to raise money.

Here are some pictures from last year.

http://www.figgypudding.org/index.html

Sincerely,

Diana