We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Seattle?

West Palm Beach, FL
5 posts
Save Topic
Day trip from Seattle?

I will be in Seattle for 4 days before taking an Alaskan Inside Passage Cruise in early July. I wanted to know what would be a better day trip out of Seattle: Mt. Ranier, the San Juan Islands, or even Snoqualmie Falls?

If I go to the San Juan Islands, I will take the express ferry. If I go to Mt. Ranier or Snoqualmie Falls, I'll probably rent a car.

I really want to see the best the Northwest has to offer & don't want to repeat scenery I will see on my cruise. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Snoqualmie Falls
Snoqualmie Falls
1,583 Reviews
Snoqualmie, WA
Hometown
Level Contributor
54 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Seattle?

Well, I doubt the scenery will be the same no matter which you choose. One consideration is that I don't think it's possible to see the San Juan Islands in a day. Yes, the scenery will be nice on the trips up and back, but the amount of time there will be so short, and you usually have to arrive hours early for the ferry as they fill up quickly and you can get stranded (many tourists are caught off guard by this!!). The other thing is that if you're doing a cruise in Alaska, you might not want to spend most of a day on a boat traveling here. Snoqualmie Falls is nice, close (only takes about 35 minutes from Seattle), and has some wineries nearby, a terrific lodge where you can have breakfast, lunch, dinner, a massage, ... But, honestly, it isn't the "best" the area has to offer. If you're a hiker, Mt. Ranier is spectacular! I'm not sure when you're coming, but if it's soon keep in mind we just got 2" of fresh snow in the mtns. this weekend and I think skiing is still open (very late for us). You might not be able to get to Mt. Ranier or hike it without finding yourself in snow. Mt. Ranier is definitely a more significant time investment - plan 2 1/2 hrs each way driving plus several hours for hiking. There isn't much in the way of facilities there - a bathroom, a small cafe, ranger station, and that's just about it. No matter what you choose, remember that part of the beauty of Seattle is the diversity and you just can't see it all in one day! Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Snoqualmie Falls
Snoqualmie Falls
1,583 Reviews
Snoqualmie, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
West Palm Beach, FL
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Seattle?

Thanks for your response. Would a short visit to Snoqualmie Falls and Mt. Ranier be possible in one day? Coming from South Florida, the thought of snow is so exciting :)

Mentioned in this post
Snoqualmie Falls
Snoqualmie Falls
1,583 Reviews
Snoqualmie, WA
Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Seattle?

gdim7: Snoqualmie Falls is not in the same direction as Mt. Rainier, so I'd probably do the latter first and see if you have time to do the former. You can get an idea of where both are located in relation to each other from the maps on these links:

http://www.snoqualmiefalls.com/ (click on directions)

http://www.mt-rainier.com/directions.htm

By the way, you can see Mt. Rainier from Seattle (if it's not cloudy) and it's always snow-covered.

Mentioned in this post
Snoqualmie Falls
Snoqualmie Falls
1,583 Reviews
Snoqualmie, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington